Confluence 4.1 - Content Indexing: pdfbox warn/exception during re-index

Hi

I've just upgraded to confluence 4.1 (from 4.0.5) and on start-up the content is reindexed. I can see from confluence log the following pdfbox warning/exception:

2012-01-06 10:08:10,383 WARN [scheduler_Worker-8] [apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine] processOperator java.io.IOException: Error: expected hex character and not  :32
java.io.IOException: Error: expected hex character and not  :32

Googling the error is seems to be related to the bundled version of pdfbox (pdfbox-1.2.1.jar), and has been reported here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22358

My question is, should i manually upgrade pdfbox-1.2.1.jar (latest stable version is pdfxbox-1.6.0.jar), or is it best to wait for an official atlassian confluence update?

Many thanks.

Gavin.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Here's the response from Atlassian Support.

Since this does not usually indicate an actual problem, and is more of a warning rather than an error, you should just suppress the messages from being printed in the logs by navigating to <tt>ConfluenceInstallationDir/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/</tt>, edit <tt>log4j.properties</tt> and add this line to the end of the file:

log4j.logger.org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine=ERROR

Then restart Confluence. We are not aware of issues that you might face if you manually upgrade the pdfbox jar to 1.6, so we will not recommend that for now. Since the issue is already in progress, the fix should be rather soon, so best to wait for that and suppress the warning messages for now.

This widget could not be displayed.

My suggestion would be to contact Atlassian Support and get their recommendation, via http://support.atlassian.com/. I suspect that the pdfbox packages are only used within whatever plugin is responsible for rendering to PDF - it seems a lot more locked down than it used to be.

Thanks David. I'll open a support request and post their response.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

569 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you