Configure Application Links Confluence to Jira

Alex O September 4, 2019

Jira 7.5.1 / Confluence 5.8.16

After adding the application link from the confluence to Jira, I see in Jira that outgoing and incoming connection status is connected. Using OAuth. 

In confluence, under the app links I see Incoming Authentication as Configured under OAuth tab, but outgoing is not. Perhaps as a result when I try to insert Jira issue/filter from on the confluence page I get prompted to login & approve to retrieve data from Web Issue Management. If I try to log in it shows these errors 

Authentication failed!

An error occurred while trying to obtain an access token
Failed to get token from service provider. Response status code is '403'

Jira instance is running over HTTPS and can communicate with Confluence server. Confluence runs over HTTP and also can talk to Jira. User base on Jira is using local users while Confluence is using LDAP.

Here is another error I get

Cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at Com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider.internal.servlet.user.AccessTokensServlet.parseUriFromDescription(AccessTokensServlet.java:217)

What is the best way to get rid of these errors and make Confluence and Jira talk to each other?
Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rafael Pinto Sperafico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2019

Hi @Alex O ,

The existent application link is not configured correctly, therefore, you could delete the application link from Confluence and Jira, then recreate the application link between the two application using OAuth only.

Please, refer to Application Links Troubleshooting Guide for further information.

If you continue on experiencing issues after recreating application link, you should consider upgrading Confluence, so the Application Link version is compatible with the Jira version you are running. More information on Application links version matrix.

Kind regards,
Rafael

Alex O September 4, 2019

That's exactly what I did several times, but still no luck. Jira-app-links.PNGJira-app-links2.PNGConf-app-links.PNG

Conf-app-links2.PNGDo I need to configure the outgoing auth in confluence? IF yes, how exactly

Alex O September 4, 2019

There is also a warning on the Confluence side

Application 'Web Issue Management' seems to be offline. Click here to Relocate.

Nothing happens if I click the Relocate button. Both Jira and confluence are online and can talk to each other via ping, curl etc

Rafael Pinto Sperafico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2019

Hi @Alex O ,

Ping is not a valid communication testing in this case, there is much more involved when creating application link.

When creating the application link, what is there any error thrown in the application logs?

Since you are running Confluence v5.8.x, the application link version 4 is not compatible with version 5 used by Jira v7.5.1, therefore, you should consider upgrading Confluence to a version where the application link version is 5.

Kind regards,
Rafael

Alex O September 4, 2019

Thank you @Rafael Pinto Sperafico for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events