Companion app downloads html of my Confluence login page

elkrivertom September 17, 2019

I am running Confluence 6.15.9 server, stand with JIRA as user directory, not Crowd SSO.

When I try to use the Companion App, the file that downloads is an html of my Confluence login screen. I have trusted my site and I have no proxy running.

Looking for ideas as why this is happening.

2 answers

0 votes
Matthias R June 21, 2023

This Bug is still present in Confluence 7.19.7, when used SSO and 2FA.

When I try to edit a document, the companion App only downloads the 2FA welcome page.

Still not fixed after 4 years!

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2019

Hello @elkrivertom,

Thank you for letting us know about this. 

1. Does this problem exist for any of your other users?
  2. Have you used the Companion App successfully in the past?
  3. Could you let me know the exact steps to take to replicate this issue? If you can start from the very beginning to the point where you replicate the issue, it will help my investigation.

If you're using a proxy or SSL, review the considerations from this page: Administering the Atlassian Companion App

Regards,

Shannon

elkrivertom September 20, 2019

Shannon,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. This happens to all users.

2. I have configured and used it at work. That environment is using SSO via Crowd.

3. Steps to reproduce:

a. Click on a MS Word document stored on a page

b. Click on "Edit With"

c. Click on "Edit with Word"

d. Companion app starts, downloads a file and launched Word.

e. Word shows that the document is not correct.

f. I went to the c:\users\<myuser>]\.atlassian-companion\<find latest folder>

g. I see what looks like the file in the folder. I open it via Notepad++ and see an html source code of my confluence servers login page.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Log In - Confluence</title>

This system does not use SSL, has no proxy. It is a simple stand alone single Confluence server instance. We had a similar problem at work but it had to do with SSO redirects.

My assumption is that on a single stand alone server instance with no proxy that this would work right out of the box. I have trusted my site as well in the Companion App.

Tom

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2019

Hello Tom,

Thank you for sharing that with me. I've confirmed with the rest of the Confluence team. We tend to see this when the REST call is being blocked by something like a 3rd party SSO or unsigned SSL certificate.

However, since you said you're using our SSO Crowd and no SSL, it must be something else that's preventing you from connecting to your server to make the calls. 

You say that you set it up at work, but you're trying it from somewhere else now? Are you no longer on your work network? Does this only work when you are?

You may want to check with your server administrators; perhaps they will be able to determine why you are not authorized to connect to the server. 

Regards,

Shannon

elkrivertom September 23, 2019

Shannon,

At my work we have Premier Support and I worked with them to resolve that issue. I am asking about my personal "Starter License" instance I have at home.  

I'm not sure what changed but I re-uploaded the documents into Confluence and now the Companion app is working as expected. I am not sure why that made a difference as the downloaded file was the login screen html source.

As of now this is working for me.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 23, 2019

Hi Tom, 

Very strange indeed. We had similar issues in the past which are now resolved, such as:

• CONFSERVER-56444 Edit in App does not work when Confluence is integrated with Crowd SSO (fixed)
  • CONFSERVER-57593 Edit in App does not work when Confluence is integrated with Two Factor Authentication (2FA) (ongoing)

Were the attachments you overwrote uploaded in that current version of Confluence along with your current network/setup or was it brought in before-hand?

Regards,

Shannon

elkrivertom September 23, 2019

The attachments were uploaded prior to the new version of Confluence that came with the Companion App.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 25, 2019

Tom,

Thank you for confirming that.

Can you let me know the history of that instance exactly, so I can understand how to replicate something like this?

1. Is this the original server that this instance existed on, or have you migrated the data from somewhere else?
  2. What version of Confluence was the server originally on? When you said you added the attachments before Companion App, was this a recent upgrade? 
  3. Have you migrated this content from another Confluence instance in the past? If so, which version?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events