Companion App Won't Launch

John Solt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 22, 2020

My company recently updated to version 7.7.2 and we have lost the ability to edit embedded Excel spreadsheets.  I was prompted to download and install the Atlassian Companion app and I did that, but it will not launch in any web browser I use.

1 answer

0 votes
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2020

Hi @John Solt ,

Do you see any error flag/messages in Confluence after you click the "Edit" button? 

If not, do you see your web browser prompting you to open a link in Atlassian Companion after you click the edit button? 

For example, in Chrome you should see the following prompt: 

open-in-companion.png

If you are selecting "Open Atlassian Companion" and it is not working, then we will have to dig into the Companion logfile to see if you are getting any errors. Do you see the Companion icon in your tray? If you click on it you can access the log through the View Logs menu item.

Also, could I just check that the 7.7.2 instance is a production instance with a valid certificate? 

Thanks,
Alex

John Solt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 25, 2020

I am getting the dialup box you shared, but when I click open no application opens.  My IT team gave me admin access and uninstalled/reinstalled the app and we got the same result.

Can you give me the location of the log files that I can upload so you can take a look?

Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2020

Hi @John Solt , 

Do you see the Companion tray icon (Atlassian logo)? To access the logs, click the tray icon then click "View Logs" from the menu. This will open the directory that contains the companion.log file, you can open that file with a text editor. 

Regards,
Alex

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events