Comments are visible to anonymous users.

John M November 16, 2020

We have only one space in the Confluence instance and it is visible to anonymous users. All inline comments on its pages are also visible to anonymous users. Is there a way to hide comments from anonymous users? Here's how the space level permissions look currently for anonymous users.

image.png

3 answers

2 votes
Felix Bauer November 25, 2021

Here is a connected JIRA ticket for that feature:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-38697
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-5639

Vote there!

I have to say that this is very annoying for us. We use confluence as an tool for documentation and provide anonymous access.
Comments are also very useful for reviews and team-internal improvement suggestions. 

The fact that confluence can not hide those comments might be a reason why we will look out for an alternative system soon...

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2021

Yet another reason, I cannot see moving to the Cloud anytime in the near future. Add this to many of the missing features in the Cloud version versus server.

0 votes
Ture Hoefner March 19, 2021

The company I work for has released a new version of our MultiExcerpt plugin that adds the capability for admins to disable anonymous viewing of inline comments for their site:  MultiExcerpt 5.5.0 - Release Notes 

The main focus of that release is to allow inline comments to be rendered in INCLUDED content (with the MultiExcerpt Include and Excerpt Include).  Confluence does not render inline comments in included content by default.   

However, toggling for visibility of anonymous viewing of inline comments on a site was added in response to user feedback.

Now that inline comments can be rendered in included content it is even more obvious that it is difficult/impossible to hide inline comments from anonymous users on pages that they can view.

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2020

Can you take a screenshot of the permission set (at the space level) for anon users? Generally, you should only have View selected.

John M November 16, 2020

Thanks! I've added a screenshot above.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2020

The settings look correct. Have you tried viewing the pages from a different browser that is not logged into your Confluence instance (with caches cleared) to be sure what an anon user actually sees?

John M November 16, 2020

I use Chrome, so I just used Incognito mode on it. However, let me try Firefox now.

John M November 16, 2020

It's the same problem. Here's what I tried:

1. I made a test inline comment on a page using Chrome.
  2. I opened the same page on Firefox. It is not signed in. (See red arrow in screenshot below.)
  3. I can see the commented part highlighted in yellow and on clicking the text, it reveals the comment.
  4. Also, the Show inline comments button is available. (See purple arrow in the screenshot below.)

image.png

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2020

I would file a bug report with Atlassian. Doesn't seem consistent with the permissions. I tried searching for any bug reports, but did not see any.

Like Ariel Melendez likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events