Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comala workflows visibility

Alexander levy September 12, 2017

I have several documents that are updated periodically that I would like to put through a workflow... The pages that are updated are also going to include anchors and links. what I would like to happen, is for my audience to see the current version of my document.. and then once final approval is received for the doc going through the workflow... have that be the actual document everyone can see.  It is imperative one version of the document be available to view while the updated version is going through a workflow. The edits are going to be made directly into the text in the page... The only method I can think of to achieve this is to make a copy of the page, make the edits, send it through the workflow. once completed, the editor can then copy paste the changes to the original document so that it is "updated..." Does anyone have any other methods that might be helpful?

1 answer

1 vote
Sandy Johnson September 13, 2017

Alexander

I think the solution is in your title. We use Comala Workflows to do exactly what you are describing. When using the workflows, Confluence maintains 2 versions - the published one and one with any edits. When ready, the version with edits gets approved, it replaces the old one (now you go back to just one version of a page)

Sandy

Alexander levy September 13, 2017

Hi Sandy,

for your process, are you also using comala publishing or just comala workflow?

Workflows

Comala Workflows.PNG

ok, where do I locate the different versions though? I would like one version visible at all times while the other (with edits) to go through the workflow... ( and then replace the original). My audience needs to see a version of the document at all times, but not pending changes..

Page Title - Draft.PNGBelow are 2 screens shots of the same page title. Here you see the name of the page (3.1.04 Engage Procurement), who created  it (me), who the owner is (also me) and when it was last updated. You also see a green button (Operational) and below it the word (Draft) as a link.

The Operational button tells the reader that they are viewing the approved published version of this page. If they want to see the work-in-progress version, they can click on the (Draft) link.

The second screen shot shows the top of the work-in-progress page, so the green Operational button has changed to a yellow Draft button.

The workflow states are customizable and we have chosen a 3 state workflow. So, new pages or those being edited go into the Draft state. Once the person making the changes is satisified, they can push the page to the Pending Approval state (this can be done by anyone). Finally, only the page owner can psuh the page from Pedning Approval to Operational.

We find this works very well.

Sandy

Page Title - Operational.PNG

not sure why I got 3 copies of the Operational screen shot and 1 of the Draft (and why the Draft ended up at the top of the post)

OK, thank you very much for this! I want to hide the pending changes from my audience though... Would the only work around be to place restrictions on the draft version? Is there a way to configure this within space tools -> space configuration - >workflow activity and drafts visibility and default view latest/published?

Imagine you ran a website, you'd have a production site and a development site (and probably a test site as well). What you looking for in Confluence matches this model perfectly. So why not create a development space that mirrors your production space and restriction access to it.

Then you can create new content in the development space and simply move it to the production space when it is ready. You wouldn't even need the Comala Workflow addin.

Alexander levy September 14, 2017

Hi Sandy, I think I figured it out! i actually went to space tools - workflows. then configuration - then restricted workflow activity and drafts visibility to space admin and page editors. I also changed the default view to published... The only caveat is I would have to put all my docs through an arbitrary workflow to hit published status so that my general audience could see.

Sandy Johnson September 14, 2017

Excellent :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events