Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colored icon on profile picture meaning?

Dennis Laney June 20, 2019

Can someone let me know what the letter icon mean on the lower right of the profile picture?  I see it when I'm in draft mode, and the icon has a "D" in it.  But the background color of it changes.  First, does this just indicate i am in Draft mode?  Second, what does the color represent?  It changes every time and is very distracting since I do not know what it means.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2019

Hello Dennis,

From your description I believe you’re talking about while editing a page, in the top right, your avatar has the letter “D” (D for Dennis) showing and while entering and exiting drafts/edits the color of said D changes colors. This functionality has to do with collaborative editing which will select a color to display while editing. If another person was to edit the same page their name would also display with a “Letter” next to their name and a random color as well. The selected colors correlate to the cursor color on the page while editing.

Further information on this feature may be found at Collaborative editing (while this is server documentation it does show how the collaborative editing functions with avatars and colors.)

I hope this information proves helpful and you’re able to get the answer as to why the colors change near your avatar while editing.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Dennis Laney June 24, 2019

Thanks for that helpful answer.

That makes sense and it will probably make more sense when I'm actually working on a Collaborative document with someone.  The color changes though, so distracting.  I wish it would just pick a color and stick with it.  Like the first person in, it takes color1, the second person in gets color2.  And color1 and color2 never change.   

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Dan_Comly February 19, 2020

Dennis - 

The constant color change bothers me too. I'm easily distracted by transient images; it's reassuring to learn that others have the same issue. 

Like Chris likes this
david.klempfner June 25, 2020

I also was wondering why it keeps changing. Is it a bug? Or is there a reason it keeps changing?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events