Code Block with SQL Insert Into statement breaking page

David Liljeblad March 7, 2019

Recently, my team found that our SQL coding standards page cannot be edited; it just spins and displays a popup with the following error

• The editor didn't load this time
  • The connection timed out. If it happens again, speak to your Confluence admin. You may be using a proxy server that prevents WebSocket connections.

After investigations into the content of the page, I found out that it was because of code block macros that had  "INSERT INTO table" on the same line. I was able to replicate it in many ways, even just putting "INSERT INTO [something]" in the title of the confluence page.

However, if I separated "INSERT INTO" and "table" in different lines, the page was able to be edited just fine.

All other pages work fine for editing & collaborative editing.

Has anyone encountered this error before?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hello there! Thanks for contacting the Community David.

I have tried to replicate this behaviour with Confluence 6.12.2 but was unable to. The macro Syntax Highlighting was set to SQL. I have used a generic INSERT INTO example from W3Schools.

With this in mind, could you provide us with some clarification:

1. Has this worked at some point in the past?
  2. What syntax highlight is used in the macro?
  3. Does this happen with any SQL query in a Code Block macro?
  4. Is this issue present regardless of browser?
  5. Are more users affected by this?
  6. Are you using the built-in Code Block macro or third-party?

Also, would it be possible for you to send us the SQL Query that triggers this error? If possible, could you also send us screenshots of the settings for the Code Block Macro?

Be aware that anyone can see content in Community. With this in mind, be careful not to disclose any sensitive information with both screenshots and SQL Query!

Let us know your answer David, looking forward to solving this.

David Liljeblad March 11, 2019
  1. Yes, this was working before we upgraded to 6.14.1 server based Confluence from 6.5.1.
  2. SQL, but it doesn't matter which one I have selected.
  3. It is specific to having "INSERT INTO ______" any where on the page, broke the page when I had that in the title as well
  4. Issue happens in IE & Chrome
  5. Yes, it was reported to me by other employees in my computer.
  6. Built-in

Even just "INSERT INTO SOMETHING" breaks the page, doesn't matter if I have more content in the page than that.

The settings for the Code Block Administration is Default theme = Confluence and Default Language = C#.

I have noticed that I cannot edit the Code block with "INSERT INTO _______" until after I remove it or put a line break after INTO.

Just did some additional tests:

These break the editor after the initial creation:

2019-03-11 17_09_16-Test Insert Into Something.png2019-03-11 17_09_35-Testing Insert Into something title.png2019-03-11 17_09_46-Testing something body.png2019-03-11 17_09_58-Testing something code block.png

It didn't let me post all the images at once, so broke it down to what worked too.

These don't break the editor after the initial creation (I kept it simple to just the body content since it now doesn't seem like a code block macro specific issue):

2019-03-11 17_10_27-Testing Line break 1-1-1.png2019-03-11 17_10_41-Testing Line breaks 1-2.png2019-03-11 17_12_36-Testing Line breaks 2-1.png

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2019

Hello there David!

Well, good news I believe. I was not able to replicate this issue in Confluence 6.14.2.

This leads me to believe that the issue might be something related to:

• Third-party plugin
  • Something wrong with Confluence cache

With this in mind, we could first try to Clear plugin cache:

Clear the plugin cache

1. Schedule a downtime for Confluence
  2. Shutdown Confluence
    1. Make sure that Confluence is not running
  3. Go to <confluence-home>/ folder
  4. Remove the following folders
    1. <confluence-home>/bundled-plugins
    2. <confluence-home>/plugins-cache
    3. <confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache
    4. <confluence-home>/plugins-temp
    5. <confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_language
  5. Start Confluence again
  6. After application start, check if the issue is still present

If the plugin cache clear does nothing, we can try to Enter safe mode:

Enter Safe Mode

1. Click Cog Icon > Manage Apps
  2. Scroll down and click to Enter Safe Mode
  3. Proceed to enter safe mode
  4. While safe mode is enabled, all user installed plugins will be disabled
  5. While this mode if enabled, check if the issue persists

With safe mode enabled, you could enable your plugins back again, one by one. After each plugin enable, you would need to check if the issue comes back. This helps to pinpoint if the problem stems from a third-party plugin.

David, let us know about your findings. Looking forward to solving this issue!

Like David Liljeblad likes this
David Liljeblad March 12, 2019

I used the idea of a third-party plugin causing an issue and disabled a plugin we had installed that was in an expired trial mode and then tested for the issue again. It worked!

I was curious as to what would happen if I re-enabled the third-party plugin and it still worked. So my guess was that the disable/re-enabling clear out some bad plugin cache?

The plugin for reference is "Easy Forms" in case anyone has a similar issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events