Code Block Macro is no longer in my list to insert?

Maureen Yearwood June 13, 2019

We recently moved to the cloud version of confluence and I no longer have the code block macro in my list of macros to add?  Please help.

1 answer

2 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2019

Hello Maureen,

Thank you for contacting us! In the new editor, if you type /code you should be able to find it:

Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 13.42.25.png

If you're still on the old editor, then {code should still work, and you'll find it under Code Block Macro.

Can you give that a try and let me know how it goes?

Regards,

Shannon

Maureen Yearwood June 17, 2019

Shannon,

Thanks for that info.  However now the concern is I don't have access to format like I did in the old editor?  I can't make it collapsible or choose the background like in the old editor.

Right now I'm copying pages created in the old editor and changing the information as needed but at least it gives me the old code block macro.

Is there a way to choose when adding a page whether to use the new or old editor?

Like # people like this
JP September 4, 2019

I agree Maureen, Code snippet seems to have much less functionality than the old Code Block Macro.

Why is this Atlassian?  How do I get the old Code Block functionality where I could add a title, turn numbering on and off, make it collapsible etc?

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2019

@Maureen Yearwood@JP,

The macro is being rewritten for the new editor, and so this would explain the missing functionality.

My colleague raised a feature request to include that customization that was once possible:

• CONFCLOUD-66437 Allow further customization of the "Code" macro in the new editor

I would recommend that you both vote on the feature request and comment with the features you want to see the most. As always, you can join in on the public discussion about the new editor, where you can even speak to the Product Manager regarding this.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Like # people like this
Maureen Yearwood September 9, 2019

Thanks I just voted and commented.

Like Shannon S likes this
JP November 21, 2019

@Shannon S 

Thanks Shannon but it is very frustrating to have to vote to get back functionality that we had and you took away.  Setting this up as "vote for a feature you'd like so it might get done" completely belies the fact that this used to work and Atlassian broke it.

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2019

@Maureen Yearwood Thank you for your vote!

@JP, To clarify, the vote is to show which features you value the most. Since the new editor is brand-new, it contains a lot of new macros that we wrote especially for that editor. By voting, it helps us to prioritize our efforts by working on the features that are most important to you and the rest of our customers, and providing less focus on the ones that aren't in demand.

I understand how it might come across, but the votes and feedback are really valuable to our product team, and it helps to improve our products.

Thank you, and have a pleasant week.

Regards,

Shannon

Peter Dorn January 22, 2020

@Shannon S 

Your answer is not helpful. You took away an existing feature that I used extensively. I recently migrated from my own server to cloud and find this degradation of functionality highly unusual and your explanation  outright deceptive. You should at least acknowledge that the functionality is degraded.

If you can't acknowledge such a simple fact, then my trust in Atlassian is degrading and my ability to promote Atlassian products in my group is undermined. 

Like # people like this
Vivek KC March 6, 2020

Happened to realise today the feature is missing after moving to new editors! Indeed, it's frustrating and found this page on searching what happened with the feature.  I'm trying hard to accommodate my documentation needed for a presentation, without that my page looks poorly! Damn, this is unprofessional way to do the business. Don't ship partial products and screw up end user experience, what was the urgency?

Like # people like this
caspar_lourens March 13, 2020

Indeed, quite strange and frustrating these kind of decisions are made. Would be much better if some kind of user-base would be consulted before changing such basic stuff as the Code Block... Maybe also check your statistics on the usage of certain features so it's easier to get an estimation on the impact a change has or will have !

Very annoying to now have to "vote" for getting an older feature back in Confluence :-(

Like # people like this
Joao Morais April 21, 2020

Same here. The new editor is proposing some new macros and functionalities, but basic legacy macros should work as before. The "code snippet" is so ugly. The code block that is used by so many users on many pages should not have been replaced with something with lesser rendering capabilities and almost no functionalities at all.

Like # people like this
SimonP July 1, 2020

Can we go back to the old editor until this is resolved? For lots of code this makes it hard to navigate or read. Powershell is grey on grey.. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events