Chrome Extension - Uncheck Boxes

David Yost December 14, 2018

I have a QA coworker who manages a large flight check list out of a confluence page.  They recently mentioned how big of a pain it is to manually uncheck everything for a new run so I thought I might be able to create a Chrome Extension that will allow them to hit a button to uncheck everything on the confluence page.  I am having a hard time figuring out exactly how to do that though. 

So far I have tried removing the "checked" class from the "li" nodes which updates the appearance but does not actually update the state (i.e. if you leave the page and come back they are all checked again).  I have also attempted triggering a click event on each of the "li" items but that does not appear to have any impact on the check list items.  It looks like the check box, which is a background image, is the only clickable area but I am not sure how to trigger a click event on these to update checkbox status.  Does anyone have any idea how to do this with standard javascript or jQuery?

2 answers

0 votes
Russell Kelley December 29, 2021

In the on-premise version, you can also revert your page to a version of the page that has none of the boxes checked (..., Page History, check the box for the version, then Restore). 

Every time you check or uncheck a box, a new version is created, so you just have to know what version number has none of the boxes checked so that you can restore it.  As long as you haven't made any structural changes to the page since that version, you should be good to go.

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2018

Hello there!
Developing a extension for the browser can be a challenge. However, there is another way for you to accomplish this task. We will need to first install Confluence Source Editor:

Confluence Source Editor

After this is installed, we can follow like this:

1- Go to the page where the task list is present
2- Enter edit mode
3- Click the < > symbol in the top right corner of the toolbar
4- In the Find text field, type >complete<
5- In the Replace text field, type >incomplete<
6- Click to Replace all
7- Publish the page

After this, all checked checkboxes should be empty again! Please keep in mind that using the symbols < > in >complete< will avoid removing text that is not connected to the tasklist itself. Further, you must replace with >incomplete<. If you replace with only incomplete, this will not work.

What we are doing is editing the source of the tasklist instead of triggering the activity via UI. So this should be performed with some care. Always check that the text being replaced and the new text are correct.

Let us know your thoughts!

David Yost December 26, 2018

Hi Deigo!  Thanks for your response on this.  I do not see the "< >" symbol that you mentioned in the toolbar which I assume means that we do not have the "Confluence Source Editor" enabled on our instance?  I am going to track down whoever is responsible for this in our IT group to see if we can get it installed but in the meantime is there any options for doing this  using the "Insert Markup" option?

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2018

Hi again David! If you do not have the  "< >" symbol in the top right corner of the editor toolbar, there are two possible causes:

- Your instance does not have the plugin
- The plugin is disabled

Currently, we still need the Source Editor to perform this. However, I was able to find this request:

CONFSERVER-37184 - Uncheck list of tasks

The request tackles exactly the feature that you need for your instance. You could vote and watch this report. Voting increases the report visibility and by watching it you will be up to date with everything posted there.

David Yost January 2, 2019

Sorry about the delayed response, there's been a lot of people in and out of the office which made running this down a bit slower.  I have verified that we are not on an internally hosted version (i.e. we are on the shared web version) and my understanding of this plugin is that it's only available for self hosted environments.  Are there any alternatives to this option?

Brad Barwick September 23, 2019

I authored a Chrome extension that does this; available here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/confluence-cloud-uncheck/mndfdglbjiklkaadbpbndpegplbacohb

It is for Confluence Cloud, hasn't been tests on Confluence Server edition.

You can review the code on Bitbucket to see how it works:

https://bitbucket.org/underblob/chrome-extension-confluence-uncheck/src/master/

Andrey Petrov January 28, 2022

Chrome extension - 404

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events