Changing the Heading Level of Included Page

Adam Jacobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2020

We have a number of 'source' pages that are intended to be used as objects within a larger document. Each of the source pages begins with a Level 3 heading.

Authors choose the objects they need and {include-page} them into a larger document. Most of the time, heading level 3 is suitable. However, sometimes the heading structure of each larger document may need to change depending on its use.

Ideally we would be able to allow the author to change the heading level of the source pages to Level 2 or Level 4 when they are included in a document.

Does anyone have any experience handling this scenario, or have any suggestions? The documents are exported, so the change needs to be made to the stored content itself not just what's displayed on screen.

2 answers

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2020

The projectdoc Toolbox (commercial license) allows to adjust section levels on transclusion. But it does so by the use of its own set of macros. The tip Heading Level Transposition shows how this works.

We use this feature and export the pages with Scroll Products to PDF or Word. Since you explicitly have requirements according to the stored content, I am not sure if your use case is different to ours and therefore may not be covered. The solution is generated on the server side and is not applied in the browser. But I need to recommend to check your requirements with a trial version to be sure. In case you have questions, please get in touch!

Please note that I am one of the authors of the projectdoc Toolbox. So my answer is certainly biased.

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 23, 2020

This tends to work with lists, like when including a page containing a list within a list, it will create a sub-list with appropriate numbering.

That said, I've never found a way to manipulate headings. I was hoping that applying the heading style I want it to start with on the Include macro itself would do it, but no luck.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events