Changing Themes

Alexandra Wayne January 31, 2018

Hi there - I am trying to create a table of contents within a page so it can quickly scroll the page down to the part people need. I would like this TOC to be on left side bar where the page tree is.

Does someone know how to do this? I was just made space admin and tried to go to Look and Feel to change the theme. It does not display any themes though when I load 'choose a theme'. 

It says I need to configure to the documentation theme but nothing is listed.  

5 answers

0 votes
Alexandra Wayne February 2, 2018

when I add the TOC to the sidebar it shows up all the time - not when you are on the specific page you are trying to list  a TOC for. It also does not link to anything. It is just text that you cannot click on. 

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

I forgot to mention on option, you can customize the sidebar in your space. Have a look at the documentation please.

You can just add {toc} to the sidebar in the look and feel settings for your space

Configure the Sidebar

And the built in macro offers, as you already figured out, some customization settings and also supports a CSS class name for customization.

Nothing in there says how to make your TOC in the sidebar link you gave me. Can you help guide me?

If I just have the TOC on the page itself can you tell me how to make it look nicer? Right now I have it at the top part of the page which looks better than it going to vertically down the page. Any tricks to save space on the page and make it look nice would be appreciated!

changing colors, bolding, formatting tricks?

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

Hey Alexandra,

indeed it does. It speaks about adding macros to the sidebar to further customize it. It's far from perfect but at least worth a try. As said just add {toc} in the space settings -> look & feel -> sidebar. You can even further add more detailed settings to {toc} to only show a specific heading level. Everything you normally can configure in the macro.

2018-02-01_08h00_06.png

On the page itself you can make use of CSS (in the macro settings at the bottom) to define your own layout of the TOC if you want. Not sure if there are any apps available to deliver some better, haven't looked into it yet.

0 votes

I also wanted to find out how to add the Deck of cards add on. I cannot find it in the macros either. 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

Do you mean the Composition Tabs and Page Layout app by Servicerocket with the Deck and Card macro? If you can't find it, please ask an administrator of your instance if it is installed and made available

0 votes

Is there a way to make the TOC more attractive? Right now I have it at the top part of the page which looks better than it going to vertically down the page. Any tricks to save space on the page and make it look nice would be appreciated!Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 1.36.19 PM.png

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

Hi Alexandra,

sorry to say but what you want to achieve is not possible with standard tools Confluence is delivered with. The TOC macro belongs on the page you inserted it. That's a big deal of customization which for example can be achieved with Scroll Viewport.

Best,

Max

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events