Changing Links After Renaming A Space

Xavier Amador October 17, 2017

Hello,

As the name of our organization has changed, we would like to change the site title of our Confluence page, which will of course change the server base URL. If we change this, however, all of the links within the space, which link to other articles in the space, will be broken. Is there a way to update site title URL in all the links in a space that point to the current site title URL (and of course not modify external links which do not point to the space)?

2 answers

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

@Davin Studer that was an eloquent explanation of a matter that I always struggle to explain.

@Xavier AmadorWe have an article that may help: How Do I replace all 'hard' links to my old Base URL

Thanks for the reply, Ann. Can you confirm if this works in Confluence Cloud (not Server)?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

The base URL cannot be changed in Cloud: Restricted functions in Confluence Cloud

Are you planning to export your current Cloud instance to a new one with a different URL?
Xavier Amador October 19, 2017

Thanks for pointing that out (I was not aware). I suppose in that case, yes, I would have to export it and import it to a new one which matches the name we would like to use. 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2017

In that case you will be making an XML back-up so you can use Option 1 from How Do I replace all 'hard' links to my old Base URL:

Create a site XML backup and perform a find/replace or sed to change the old URL to the new URL. The chances for a false positive match in sed are very low for matching URLs, but if you want to confirm all changes, you can use vi or vim for the find/replace. This option will replace content in historical page versions.

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2017

If you created the links like this then there should not be an issue. Confluence handles the link creation and they will change dynamically

Capture.PNG

However, if you inserted the links this way then they will not change automatically and you will need to fix those.

Capture1.PNG

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the links were created using the second method. Do you know of a tool that could make batch changes to these links?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events