Changing Font Face and Size?

Mick Davidson November 17, 2011

Is it possible to change the font face and size in Confluence?

10 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

7 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2011

Ah yes, thanks Nic. I know about that, but I meant on the page itself, not globally.

Sorry, I should have made that clear.

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2011

Ah, ok. In that case, what mitch827 said :-)

8 votes
Jeff Howell June 11, 2015

Not being able to select font type and size in WYSIWYG mode is really a PITA. When I cut/paste information from another source, it often carries font "baggage" with it. I have found the only way to fix this is to use the "Inspect Element" from the right-click menu, then edit out all the font tags from the HTML. Very ugly and error-prone, as one actually has to understand the underlying HTML to do this.

Janet Courtney June 14, 2016

Agree with Jeff... I'm trying to set up a program management page.. this is not looking good at all.

6 votes
Martin Gregory October 14, 2015

This is ludicrous.  What WYSIWYG editor doesn't let you change the font of a word!?    I want to "preformat" a file name in a sentence.  I can't.   FFS.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2015

It's a wiki, not a publishing platform

Like # people like this
Martin Gregory June 14, 2016

What wiki doesn't let you change the font of a word?     I would say "get with the times", except that even the most basic wiki of 10-15 years ago had [ preformat ] or similar.

Like Chuck Alley likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2016

So, you've not bothered to try the formatting that is available?  My point stands though - this is a tool for collaboratio, sharing information, it's not about making it pretty.  If you look at the best information tools out there, they remain visually simple and consistent - jumping around with fonts and colours makes it harder and more annoying to read and detracts from the content.  Take a look at the most popular one people know (wikipedia) - there's very little formatting there (and last time I looked, Confluence had a slightly wider range of formatting options than those used in wikipedia, although it really could use a better reference and citation system)

Like Bill Rudy likes this
Martin Gregory June 14, 2016

Sorry - you lost me there.  Is there something basic I've missed?   As I said, I came to this page looking for answers how to get 'preformat', which is a fixed-space font representing a technical term.  I can see how to bold or italicise the existing characters in the current font, but I can't see how to get  a fixed-space font?

Like Chuck Alley likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2016

Ah, I see.  Try using preformatted in the drop-down.

Martin Gregory June 22, 2016
The preformatted dropdown affects the whole paragraph.

Wikipedia, that most basic of wikis, supports preformatting selected words.

Like Peter Davis likes this
Fencer August 12, 2016

There are two dropdowns:

1) The first determines the format of the paragraph (contains Paragraph, Heading 1, ..., Preformatted, Quote)

2) The dropdown next to the Colour-Choice in the same area as bold-formatting and so one. There you can choose 'Monospace' which will only affect the current selection.

I had the same problem, when I found this thread and thought a real solution might useful for others here.

Like Martin Gregory likes this
Fred Bunting November 29, 2017

Sorry, I'm late to the party, but I had to throw in my 2 cents.  It is not "ludicrous" that Confluence (like other wikis) does not allow font-switching from word to word.   I consider it a blessing.

If what you want is to switch to a fixed-width (a.k.a. monospace)  typeface, then just say so.  This is a valid use-case that is far more reasonable than allowing willy-nilly changes of fonts from word to word within a paragraph -- and Confluence supports it, as it always has.

Martin Gregory November 29, 2017

For me, the main use case is indicating code by a fixed width font.  For example, I want to describe the authenticate() function.   That word (and the parens) should be fixed width.

How do you do that?

Mike September 2, 2018

It's silly you cannot change fonts.  It's super basic, I disagree that having "pretty" ( aka inviting & usable ) documentation isn't a priority.  

Like # people like this
1 vote
Raymond Gan March 18, 2019

The problem is you used Ctrl-V (or Command-V) to paste. Confluence treats this as "preformatted" text and won't let you change anything about it.

Instead, use Shift-Ctrl-V (or Shift-Command-V) to paste, as "unformatted." Now you can change its style and edit it.

Tino Rossi July 6, 2020

Strange Ctrl-Shift-V pasted nothing for me.

1 vote
Imerys UK Ltd September 22, 2016

I had a similar issue, but by clicking the button to the right of the colour formatting button, and then selecting "clear all formatting" I was able to remove all the "baggage" and format specific parts of the copy/pasted text in the way I wanted. Hope that helps someone.

0 votes
Douglas Kretzmann November 9, 2017

best way to format headers and so on in existing text is to use the <> 'open in source editor' and then edit the html directly, adding <h3> your simple header </h3> etcetera. 
The wysiwyg is beyond my feeble understanding. 

Mikael Mikkola November 10, 2017

Where do you find that 'open in source editor'?

Is there then a high risk that the page gets really broken or that at least you loose the formations when you next update Confluence? Or even if you use some strong plug-in?

Douglas Kretzmann November 10, 2017

In our install, when editing a page, top R of toolbar has 3 icons - magnifying glass, the symbols <>, and a question mark.
The middle one is 'open in source editor'.

I was able to completely break the page I was editing in wysiwsg, had to revert to the plain text (created and saved in a text editor, since this has happened before). For me editing html is safer than the wysi..

0 votes
Michael Weintraub September 30, 2016

Hi.  Has anything happened on this front?  I'd like to select font types and colors.  I see in this answer block I can do the other types of font manipulations - underline, bold, extra. 

My students report cutting and pasting from word doesn't generally preserve the formatting.

I'm only finding ways to jigger the css.  What I'd like is a pull-down on the page with fonts and with colors.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Mike

0 votes
Fencer August 12, 2016

There are three options I know of:

1) You can determine the font for a whole paragraph (Heading 1, Quote and so one) by using the first dropdown in the toolbar.

2) You can use the formatting options right of that dropdown to make a word bold or monospaced.

3) You can use the insert-dropdown insert custom markup.

0 votes
Mikael Mikkola April 14, 2015

Make the font in Word and copy-paste into Confluence. Usually works for both fonts and for font sizes (but not in this comment box. Like this: Strange font.

However, when I then copy it from the wiki page and paste it elsewhere in the wiki, it becomes normal text!

Html macro may also help (you could use html code to select fonts?).

Font and font size should be easily available. Why did I not find the copy-paste hint anywhere and why are there no menus for fonts and sizes in Confluence?

Richard Cross April 29, 2015

I'm not sure which version of Confluence you're running, but in 5.7.1, when I paste from Word, the font size and type information are stripped out, and only basic things like bold or italics are preserved.

Mikael Mikkola June 21, 2016

I had 5.7. Sometimes it works like that, sometimes font and font size are preserved. But html macro works (if you have enabled it). True, there should be an easier way.

0 votes
Diego Cagnoni November 17, 2011

yes using the {style} macro from Adaptavist (link) ad putting in some css attributes.

Thanks to you both.

The Adaptavist macro cuold be useful, but not in this case. We want users to be abel to do this in wysiwyg mode, nothing complicated like CSS.

I think we'll have to see this as a non-starter and badge Atlassian to add the functionality to the editor at some point.

Cheers,

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events