Change text background color in confluence editor?

Hi,

how do i change the background color of text in a confluence page?

As this is a very default feature of text processing software, why isn't there a button in the confluence editor for this like the button to change the text color?

Is this so hard to accomplish?

10 answers

1 accepted

3 votes

Because it's not a common thing to want to do in a set of documentation. Remember this is a wiki, not authoring or design software - the content is vastly more important than the presentation

You can, of course, do it, just not in the basic editing function. I've used the {bgcolor} macro to do it, as well as {panel} for larger blocks of text. There's quite a few similar macros available for all sorts of formatting and highlighting. I don't know if Atlassian plan to add a quicker way to do it in the editor though.

Thank you for this very quick answer.

If changing text color is a common thing, why shouldn't be changing the text background color a common operation?

That's the thing, changing text colour is not that common. People do use it, and they do ask, but it's really not used as much as a lot of people think it is. Background colouring is even more unused, and people simply don't ask for it enough to make it worth implementing.

I've also found good reasons not to use coloured text (and background text is worse). For reading, a single colour is a lot easier to scan than changing ones. Coloured text should be used sparingly, and then the mistake that most people using colour (especially with background colour) is that they fail to consider contrast - all text should be high contrast, which really does rule out most combinations. And coloured and backgrounded text are a pain in the neck for some dyslexics, and people with vision issues.

I'd like to decide for myself whether I want to change background color or not. I don't need atlassian making that choice for me. I can't imagine how adding this option would take a long time, and for the people that do want it this would be very helpful.

I'd appreciate a background color (ant text color) as well. Just look at the marking of an inline comment. The marked text gets an nice and light background color. So why deny it for users of the confluence editor?

I'd would think highlighting would be more common than changing the text color. I want to make something stand out in my documentation, a nice yellow or red background does the trick when it's just a single word. You can add me to list of people who want this feature added.

I agree that background coloring is a good way to mark some important content.

huh - even in this forum/posting u can see gray text background... how can u say bg color is uncommon for wikis? <confused/>

You see it in panels here, not sentences or words. And try looking at the world's biggest wikis - they're all black on white or pretty close to it for over 90% of their content - panels being used for callouts and highlights.

I'd vote for background-color too. It's a good way to highlight in lists what status things are in currently for projects.

I've been a daily Confluence user for about 7 years. Today I absolutely had to background colour some text. I literally had to take a screenshot of the text in another application with the background colour required and upload it as an image. If this requirement doesn't come up for another 7 years, I can probably live with this. Otherwise, I note there is a Text Highlighter plugin that's reasonably priced.

I have been wanting this in Confluence for a few years now. C'mon Atlassian, just put in a canned macro for it. It's easy and it would be optional. You can't be THAT much of a zealot about this that it's worth contradicting the stated requests of real users. And anyway, it's a competitive feature for you - other wiki's have it, even as a button in their rich text editors. I'll be honest, if other wikis were as good in other ways, the lack of this feature would be enough to make me move to a competitor -- it's that important to my work flows (in PM and product development - I color code a LOT of stuff!)

I think background color is actually more useful than text color. Try setting text color to yellow for example, you just won't see such text on the screen - no wonder this feature not popular as you say. Suggested macros are mostly useless, they are not inline. Plus you can't compare it to simplicity of selecting background color from the color picker. Check how it's done in Google Docs, they still use single button, but dialog that pops up allows setting both text and background colors. Such implementation wouldn't affect you UI. My use case was essentially to highlight parts of text that changed: new with green, changed with yellow, and deleted with red. But instead of simply doing it, I have to spend my time and company's money writing posts like this.

While Confluence is primarily a wiki, not a text editor... background colour functionality is pretty fundamental. It is included in a limited capacity for tables (5 pastel colours). Surely it would not be terribly difficult to expand the palette or add a hex input and apply it to all content? We pay for the software, use it in a corporate environment with a brand style guide, but cannot format content to match those guidelines.

Just add highlighting already. When your customers say they want something and you say "Well that's not what a wiki is for" you're missing the point. 

I too NEED the text highlighting feature. The suggesting to use a macro is not an acceptable solution. Numerous people are asking for this feature and it isn't much different from text color. Please add the feature.

I would like this in a document I'm working on too, because I'm specifying a table of possible color codes that must be rotated over API calls for a screen test.

I need highlighting frequently. Confluence isn't just a wiki, it's our team collaboration tool. There are plenty of reasons to use color highlighting. We really shouldn't have to talk Atlassian into it. Theyput emojis (which I never need) in the Insert menu, for heaven sake,and bury Anchors (which I use all the time) under Insert > Other macros. Obviously what's useful isn't the governing factor.

Color highlighting is available for Notes, Info and Warning paragraphs, why not for selected words?

This seems like a missing feature. It is expected behavior in almost any editor these days.

People religiously surround portions of sentences with backticks in Slack. It does a lot at once:

1. Changes the foreground text color
  2. Changes the background color
  3. Creates a rounded-corner border around the background in yet a third color
  4. Changes the font to monospace

Yes, count them, four different things. Why? Because, yes, it's that common and that important. Bold and/or italics on some screens isn't striking enough and easily glanced over. When trying to drag with the house to copy, the visual demarcation done in Slack makes a difference in getting the job done quicker. It much more effectively removes vagueness about precisely what is being highlighted.

Slack already did a good job of selecting three colors, plus a font change, to accommodate dyslexics, color blindness, and other visual or spatial impairments. Citing other wikis as just using one color is a throwback to more archaic days when multiple colors simply was not an option. It's not that they thought it was best – they had no choice. If you're mind is still desperately clinging those traditions, no one is forcing it on you.

This is a sentence I want to write: Log into the machine and use su - to gain escalated privileges. Using a code block breaks up the flow of the sentence. Rewording it to accommodate the code block is less natural. Bold and/or monospace alone aren't clear enough to the reader that a space and hyphen needs to be typed into the terminal after "su".

Your customers aren't asking to change the defaults for surrounding content in double curly braces from what it is now to the Slack-style. They are asking for a completely different and new formatting option for highlighting.

yes, I want it too, and would use it regularly

Me too.
In Word documents I highlight words and sections that need revision later with a yellow background, just like a real yellow highlighter - to highlight stuff I want to come back to. It would be useful to do the same in Confluence.

Also agree it's necessary and missing functionality.

Highlighting / background color would be useful. Adding emphasis to a text is universal. Currently, the only "acceptable" way to add emphasis is bold text, coloring the text is not for emphasis.

> Because it's not a common thing to want to do in a set of documentation.

This really is one of the most ridicolous things, I've read today. Although I'm not suprised. This is atlassian.

@Chris McKay

We pay for the software,

You really think atlassian cares? There is an oustanding amount of no-brainer-issues in their very own issue tracking which they simply ignore.

It took them almost FOURTEEN YEARS to reduce jiras email verbosity: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1369

The problem is that often the users of atlassian software are not paying for it but their bosses, who are barely using it and not reading any documentation written into the wiki. Plus there is no choice for the users as their bosses won't change their highly overprized precious.

Anyways... to leave something useful: never write text in confluence's text editor. Use word or pages and simply copypaste. At least it applies the styles right then (well.. mostly)

All arguments that I could have come up with have already been made.

All I have to say, is that I need it too.

Rahav I'm New Here Mar 29, 2018

I'm one of those bosses and have many bosses friends in other organizations. Based on what I experienced myself in the last few weeks (new job) and based on what I read here -- and in a few other threads, all demonstrating similar attitude by Atlassian, I'm starting to be sorry that I inherited Atlassian suite. It came with the job, but I CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. So can my friends.

There are many modern Wikis starting, some backed up by household name VCs, some backed up by companies with more money than ...., OK, more money than time.

A lot of companies thought that they are invincible and ingrained to the point of being irreplaceable. They are no longer that prevalent, some are no longer with us, Thanks ....

In OnDemand, there's a {status} macro which allows you to highlight a single word or very short phrase in a coloured lozenge. I see people use it for Red-Amber-Green status a lot. 

If you're not using OnDemand, you can also define a highlight as a class in the global or space-level stylesheets, such as this

.highlight { bgcolor:yellow; }

Then you use the source editor to add the class to a paragraph, li or span tag.  

&lt;p class="highlight"&gt;Whole paragraph highlighted. &lt;/p&gt;.  
&lt;p&gt;Or just &lt;span class="highlight"&gt;highlight&lt;/span&gt; one word or phrase.&lt;/p&gt;

It's a bit long-winded but it works.  (Source editor isn't available in OnDemand). 

This is the solution that worked for me - Thanks! I did need to modify your CCS a bit. Work in latest versions of IE and Chrome. .highlightYellow { background-color: yellow; }

I'd like to see background colour as a formatting option. Seems crazy the workaround I had to go to, without even achieving what originally seemed so simple with other editors.

Found a "cheat" which works well for me for basic text highlighting (mid sentence even).

1. Select the text you want to highlight with your mouse while viewing a page (note: not while you are editing the page)
  2. Wait a couple seconds, a pop-up will appear offering an "Inline Comment"
  3. Type in brief comment and hit enter.
  4. The text which was selected will now be highlighted for users, and if they click that text they will see your comment

This is supposed to be for "review" purposes, but it works perfectly for getting text quickly highlighted. 

Limitation:  Sadly this doesn't work in {code} or {noformat} blocks, but does work in {panel}

I also noticed "Inline Comment" function works well for text highlight. This "cheat" is best solution for me.

And I voted for this issue:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-27894

I just tested this solution in Confluence a few moments ago to highlight individual words:

1. Select desired text to Highlight.
  2. In Editor choose Insert (+ icon) >  "{ } Markup"
    • Insert-Markup.gif
  3. Change Type in "Insert" dropdown to "Markdown"
  4. Copy and paste the following into the editor as a template for your highlighting: 
    1. <span style="background-color: #ffff00;">Highlighted Text</span>
      or
    2. <span style="background-color: yellow;">Highlighted Text</span>

Example:

Insert-Code.gif

The above technique works well for highlighting pre-existing text. If you need to add a blank, non-highlighted space to remove the highlighting and continue typing, repeat steps 1-3 above and insert the following:

<span style="background-color: white;">&nbsp;</span>

While this works, this solution is stupid. While I may use this solution, but I shouldn't be forced to do it.

Company that claims that setting text background color should be as inconvenient as possible, builds certain reputation with me and community in general.

Honestly, at this point I have very low expectations from Atlassian.

Although super clumsy, but this method works for me.  Thanks!

Is there any voting portal for features? We also need background highlighting. There often are some really important sections in protocols for example that need to be highlighted.

2 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Nov 08, 2017

@Samuel Egger We have public-facing feature requests customers can vote on. Please do vote for this suggestion ticket I created based on this thread.

As a user I would like to change the background color of all or parts of a page

You may also comment to emphasize your use case. Voting or commenting adds you to notifications so you will know when there is progress.

With all due respect Ann, 

We are often asking, voting, and begging for improvements. Some or many of our requests are for the most basic of features that one should expect as standard in a 2018 editor. 

Basic highlighting is one of those very basic features. This has been requested for many years. Looking at the vote link As a user I would like to change the background color of all or parts of a page - gives an entirely false impression that only 48 Confluence editors want it and it's only a recent request from about a year ago.

It's not just that... I see or experience many other issues, limitations, or bugs that are *many* years old. I can site hundreds of examples from the above page (like CONFSERVER-28579). 

It leads me (or us) to ask, "What exactly do Atlassian sw engineers do?" - I'd laugh but seriously, I have dozen of issues that haven't been solved in years. You're actually worse than Google for resolving product issues. In fact, in my last job, I successfully argued against buying Atlassian Confluence. In my current job, I inherited a very large Confluence (SAAS) project. Unless I see a change in attitude or a reasonable explanation on the appearance that Atlassian doesn't actually care, I will replace you... if I ever find a suitable replacement.  

That's all, rant over. 

Hi Martin,

You can do this using macros like the Info, Note, Tip and Warning macro.

Or with the Adaptavist Content formatting macro's : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adaptavist.confluence.contentFormattingMacros

Best regards,

Peter

Yes, sorry, I said the {bgcolor} macro before, but didn't point at it, and I shold have. It's in the Adaptavist stuff as Peter says.

(I should say I work for Adaptavist for the sake of openness, but it was written a long time before I started there...)

Angela I'm New Here Jan 23, 2018

The Info, Note, Tip and Warning macros place the text in a box with a header. This is not a solution for the request. People on this thread are asking for the ability to highlight a word or phrase.

I just tried using the Note macro in the documentation I'm working on. I had to undo the change because the Note box was ridiculous for the small amount of text I wanted to highlight in a paragraph.

Add me to the list of people who would really love to be able to highlight text in Confluence.

Welcome to Atlassian. It simply *wont* happen.

Frustrating how my asterisks in my reply did not do anything to the text, right? 8-))

It's still worth 15 seconds of your time to add a Vote here -
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-54178

It may never happen but at least we can raise a flag and say that we want it :-)

If your site has HTML editing enabled (won't work on a new page; save and edit first),

1. Use the regular text color icon to designate what will become your background colors

2. Edit HTML (the "<>" icon in the upper right) and search/replace to change

style="color:

to

style="background-color:

3.  Click "Apply" and save.

You can apply this selectively if you can read your HTML well enough, and/or you can reverse the substitution to get the toolbar button to work again, and/or you can change the text color _after_ moving the first color to the background to do color-on-color text.

Not as good as a real background color option (which we won't get), but more efficient than editing HTML/markup for every single instance of color; this way you can do all at once in bulk.  Just don't do anything so extravagant you can't fix the HTML if you mess something up, and be prepared to fix the resulting <span>s if you find the colors bleeding between lines or list entries.

0 vote

I've found the inline span method is good for changing the font within a paragraph:

To change the font on the entire page:

1. add the CSS macro (from the '+' menu, or type '{css' and select the CSS macro

2. Inside the CSS macro, add the commands to change the font type, eg. the following will change the type of the font for the whole page to Times.

#content {font-family: Times;}

Several fonts are generally available to all browsers, for a fuller list, go here:

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_websafe_fonts.asp

The point is not in finding workaround, but making it convenient, untuitive, and easy.

Imagine that you'd need to look for workaround for background color in MS Word, MS Excel, Google Docs, Google Sheets, OpenOffice Writer, and any other editor.

Confluence editor is the only exception and in a stupid, inexplicable way.

@Maksym Kovalenko I so agree with you. I just need a button that can do this.

I agree too.  People are using wiki in ways beyond which it was originally intended.

There is an elegance to having the formatting defined independently from the content.  And, it makes it simple to change the appearance by having that kind of control.  That isn't a Confluence element, that is the heart and soul of the HTML and CSS design.  Confluence is supporting that. 

However, HTML also gives us a lot of power in manipulating bits and pieces, and many of these are not supported in the confluence interface. The lack of support for basic elements wastes a lot of time, as one person after another, not just admins, has to discover how to do things that are standard features in systems since the 1990s. 

Until Confluence comes to understand that their community of users has bigger demands, I've decided to share the solutions that I have found, hoping that others will too, so people don't have to waste as much time as i have searching for solutions.

I would love to see a system that gives me menu controls of so much more, for example to set standard properties like background colors, to really given Confluence the potential that it has.  It's an interesting tool.

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
var element = document.getElementById('main-content');
element.style.backgroundColor = "#33CCCC";
</SCRIPT>

insert html 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,788 views 26 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you