Change confluence to dark theme only for myself (not the whole team)

Francesco Simonazzi June 10, 2021

Hi there,

I wanted to change the confluence theme to dark, since I am reading a lot, it's becoming unbearable with the white background.

I found these steps:

1. Log into your Confluence instance as an admin.
  2. Click the admin dropdown and choose Atlassian Marketplace.
  3. Click Find new apps or Find new add-ons from the left-hand side of the page.
  4. Locate DarkTheme for Confluence via search

really? just to change a theme?? I need to talk to my administrator to change the background color of the page??? is this a joke????

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

11 votes
Pietro Montorfano November 16, 2021

uh yeah, just like google! To have a dark theme on gmail i've mailed gmail admin and asked to change the theme for me.... or use a client side script... really? this is the official response?

So no, the user theme is not supported. You can try to workaround this with 3rd parties browser plugins rather than load a custom, per-user defined css.

I was looking for the dark theme too

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Correct, remember that Confluence is a shared web-service and it's intended to present a consistent interface to the users.

Yes, it has themes, but themes apply to the space and it's supposed to look the same to everyone.

If you want to take a personalised theme for Confluence, that's up to you and your browser.  Confluence is like sites such as, um, google, bbc, microsoft etc - they present a consistent presentation layer and if you want to do it differently, you mostly get browser plugins to do it.  Stylus and Stylish have personalised browser themes for most Atlassian stuff, Cloud and Server, and the browser marketplaces are well worth a look

(Note - I'm not saying dark themes are bad, I tend to prefer them for a lot of stuff, but hate them for large amounts of reading - books, letters, mail, etc - really always should be light.  For me.  My terminals and IDEs tend towards dark, Jira I don't bother to try because I swap between so many of them, and Confluence should be dark writing on a light background to make it easier for me to read)

Wouter Pinxten December 20, 2021

Hoi Nic,

can you we contact the product owner to request for a dark mode automatically.
All competitors are providing this, not?

Kind regards,
Wouter

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

Yes, you could raise an improvement request, but I would expect it to be closed as a duplicate of the existing ones.

Most Confluence competitors also don't have a dark mode, certainly not by default, as most people expect to read black on white documents.

Like Wouter Pinxten likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events