Change New fixed-width page to Full

Justin Goldberg February 6, 2019

I really dont like the fixed-width pages in the new Confluence Editor. I cant find a way to revert this other than using 2 columns or changing the table widths. Is there a way to change the page to full width instead?

14 answers

2 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user May 28, 2020

ADD A SETTING FOR FULL-WIDTH AS DEFAULT. Period, full stop. Or better yet, just make IT the default. Why in the world anyone would want to use the fixed width, I do not know, but yay—give them the option. Just don't assume we all do!

13 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2019

Hello there!

Please, allow me to update everyone with news regarding the editor width! In the past weeks, we have been gathering feedback from the community as whole. Based on the feedback, Atlassian has some news!

A few weeks ago our Product Manager has posted this:

An excerpt from the post tells us that there Will be a full width mode!

Full width mode

By default, pages will still start with a fixed width, but if you require more real estate to lay your page out differently, you’ll be able to go into “full width mode” which will allow you to use the full width of the page.

Hope this answers you as well @Mario Blanco ! Also, take a look there @Eric Charlton , you can also give you feedback on this return of the full width.

@Justin Goldberg  you will then be able to use the new editor and have full width with it!

The feature is not yet available. But is in Atlassian plans to implement it.

Let us hear from you!

Justin Goldberg July 1, 2019

Hi @Diego , thanks for the update. Im glad community feedback has been taken on this however I would still be very surprised if people want to have a default fixed width instead of full width. Its another few clicks which is going to annoy me and Im sure others who feel the same.

I couldnt see a timeline either for this. Do you know when this will be going live? I think the new editor is great otherwise but the fixed layout really is terrible IMO and you should have the option to default to full width instead. 

Like # people like this
Mads July 1, 2019

Have to agree with Justin here.

At the very least, provide an option for administrators to make the new editor default to full width. I will be getting tons of requests and complaints from our users when they have to fiddle with this.

Confluence is a collaboration tool, not a CMS. We put content in there much more like we would on paper than as if we were running a blog or CMS, and if people want a small view, they will make the browser smaller.

Forcing fixed width by default is seriously misguided. The issue now have 177 votes and 69 watchers. When you force the new view on everybody, you will get tons of complaints about this.

Like # people like this
Eric Charlton July 2, 2019

Made my day!! Atlassian +150, and thanks for the heads-up Diego!!

Like # people like this
Charles August 12, 2019

How do I switch to full width?

Like # people like this
Eric Charlton August 12, 2019

@Charles When editing a page in the new editor, there is a double arrow icon in the upper right, to the right of the breadcrumb links. If you hover over it, it says "Make page full-width". Click that guy to make the page full-width. Usually it's the first thing I do when I create a new page. 

Like # people like this
Melissa Bashur
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 30, 2019

Can this be added to the templates? Once I create a page I can then expand the page to full width, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this when creating a template. I'd like to ensure my team's creates pages with full width to ensure the layout is consistent with the other changes.

Like # people like this
Joseph Ishak October 7, 2019

Yes Melissa, my company has the same problem!  All my templates need to be full width.   This is so frustrating having to create a new template and then manually changing it every time!

Like # people like this
Markus Besau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 25, 2019

Yep, i'd like this as well on templates.

Like # people like this
Bud Bach
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 30, 2019

+1 on templates

Like # people like this
ac December 8, 2019

+1 on full width templates please

Like # people like this
Cheryl A. Minton January 7, 2020

(y) on full width templates please. OMG this new editor is the pits! :(

Adrian de Souza
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 11, 2020

Great, if this could be added to templates

mirza.besirovic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 22, 2020

+1

Tom_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 24, 2020

Added to templates please. 

malcolm.leach
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 25, 2020

+1

jeff.patterson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 26, 2020

Ugh, why isn't this the default?  So many poor decisions going into Confluence Cloud (and JIRA Cloud for that matter)... more and more of my clients are refusing to use it, sad to see how much it has been degraded vs where Confluence Server was a couple of years ago.

Like Dan Barnett likes this
Joe_Hardin April 15, 2020

+1 on making it available on templates

Derek White August 3, 2020

+1 to being able to make full-width the default (on existing AND new pages)

samer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 1, 2020

What about having a toggle for viewers? The editor may keep the page at half or full-width but individual preference may vary as well. This should not be an editor only setting. Why not have the button visible for viewers as well?

will
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 2, 2020

+1 make it available on templates

Alex Wolf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 3, 2020

+1 for templates

Jiri October 12, 2020

Full width is not working anyway on my 4K monitor.

Like Alex Li likes this
Eric Boyce January 29, 2021

Add to templates.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2021

KILL FIXED WIDTH PLEASE

Like # people like this
Alex Li
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 6, 2022

seems like Full-width has limit too.

It doesn't expand to full screen on a 65 inches 4K TV anymore.
Can Full-width limit be increased or removed completely?

Thanks,

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2022

Is there any benefit AT ALL to fixed width, or is this a practical joke taken WAY too far?

David Becker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 3, 2022

+1

Mauricio Gobbo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 1, 2024

After so many years fixed width is still lingering on Confluence as the standard settings... This is freaking ridiculous. That is a freaking way to lose people using Confluence to other apps/software. 

12 votes
skmario
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 3, 2019

Same here, imposing stuff like this to clients is counterproductive. most of my screen space is being wasted, please fix this

9 votes
Dominik Zawrotny
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 3, 2020

Is there any way to change the fixed width into the full width via an API call?

8 votes
Mads February 19, 2019

I ditto this - please provide instructions on how to get "full width" for all content, not just colums.

Thanks,

Mads

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2019

Hello there @Mads !

You can take a look at the report created here:

CONFCLOUD-65654 | Choose Between Editor View Style

Currently, the best course of action is to vote and watch the request. Voting increases the report visibility and watching keeps you up to date!

Let us know.

Like Paul Berinde-Tampanariu likes this
5 votes
Lukasz Ciechanowicz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 4, 2020

Hi Atlassian,

Is there any way to set the full-widh mode to be the default one for new created pages?

4 votes
Cheryl A. Minton January 13, 2020

We need full-width mode when creating page templates as well please. Thank you.

Jaden Black
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 23, 2020

Yes, we need to be able to edit/create a template, set the template full-width, and have every page created with that template then be full-width. Is this planned or can you explain how it is done in Cloud? Thx!

Like # people like this
Erick Ruiz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 31, 2020

I have to second this idea. I want to migrate our templates over to the new editor because it's just....nice but until we get this feature in the template editor I'm afraid I'll have to stick to the old editor.

3 votes
Justin Goldberg July 24, 2019

Glad to see this is now implemented:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65654

Now if this could be the default, that would be great.

2 votes
Eric Charlton May 31, 2019

Worse idea than Tom Smykowski's "Jump to Conclusions Mat".

2 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
February 11, 2019

Hello there Justin!

The new visual that you have right now is the new editor created for Confluence:

Confluence Editing Improvements

You might be able to to use the old editor by clicking the + (plus sign) in the left hand sidebar and selecting legacy editor template.

Here you can also check further information on this new experience Atlassian Created:

A New Year will bring a new Confluence Cloud editor

Let us know your thoughts!

Peter Armstrong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 12, 2019

Thanks Diego - so there is no plans to have a full width view that is compatible with the new editor? That's a pity, like Justin I don't like the narrow view of the new template. For me one of my favourite things about confluence is the wider view than available in a word document.

I like the new features available with the new editor, but really hate the new view. I understand you can't please everyone with a web app, but the old full-page view with the new editor features would be perfect for me.

Like # people like this
Justin Goldberg February 12, 2019

Hi Diego,

I saw the release notes before writing this. I dont quite understand why tables and columns can be full width but the main body cant. Sure, I can use the old template but Im assuming this will be removed at some point. I dont use it on my mobile much and can understand a separate template for more responsive views. 

It would be great if there was more flexibility with this as I find reading documents with the narrow view much worse.

Like # people like this
Diego
Atlassian Team
February 19, 2019

Hello there! Thanks for all the input.

The new editing experience will be distributed to all customers eventually. Currently, the only way of having the previous editing experience is by using the Legacy Editor Template.

And yes, eventually the old editor will be removed from the editing options. All content should be migrated to the new style.

With your requests in mind, I raised this request:

CONFCLOUD-65654 | Choose Between Editor View Style

The request aims at having the option to switch between view styles, not between editors. This means that the editor would be the same but viewing could be changed.

Let us know your thoughts!

Justin Goldberg February 19, 2019

Thanks Diego. It's more about setting editor width styles but otherwise looks good. 

I do like all the other features in the new editor so it's just the width that's an issue for me. 

Like # people like this
Sven
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 24, 2019

Hi,

please can someone tell me, how to get the "legacy editor template" to create new pages. The template is not in our list of pages to create.

Mads July 1, 2019

In our installation, everything but "Try the new editing experience", is the "old" editor. I dread the day that they will force us on the new editor experience.

Like Joseph Ishak likes this
Clare June 18, 2020

I just accidentally changed a fixed-width page to full-width and I can't figure out how to change it back without losing other changes I made. 

Is there a way to do that? 

What's the advantage of full-width? I'm surprised to see so many people like it. Maybe I'm missing something but I personally find that it makes text really difficult to skim quickly. Is there a benefit I'm not aware of (like mobile compatibility) or is this just a matter of taste?

1 vote
Mario Blanco
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 1, 2019

Hi Team, 

@Diego i think the original request here was less about 'legacy editor' and more about having a single block of content the width of the page.

In the new editor there is the option to select 'layouts' (previously 'sections'), these allow you to 'go wide' by clicking expansion arrows at the end of their boundaries. 

The challenge however is none of these 'layouts' allow for a single block of content, there only appear to be two/three column, and other configurations including sidebars.

Seems like it would be a quick feature to simply add another 'layout', of one column, with the ability to 'go wide'.

will
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 2, 2020

+1

0 votes
Paul_Paella
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 16, 2023

Help pages are still narrow fixed width, and thus difficult to read on non-narrow device. Fix please.

0 votes
Charles September 19, 2019

You all know that if you go 'full width' with NO content container - is basically the old full width container. probably a programmer solution. (b/c that isn't EXACTLY the same, but probably met the display/design reqs. - I wonder if it will make old => new page migration difficult and am happy that is not my problem to solve. :-p)

Milo Grika November 15, 2019

Yeah, except it isn't the *same*.  The Page Properties Report is displayed differently in each of the three options: old template, new fixed, and new full.

0 votes
Scott Saccone July 2, 2019

I couldn't find the "legacy" template mentioned above, but it seems the "Getting Started" page that came with my new documentation space uses the old editor (there's "edit" in the edit URL as opposed to "edit-v2" in new pages). Copies of that page also use the old editor, so you could get to the old editor that way. That may not be a good idea as there could be future compatibility problems. I'm looking forward to the upcoming "full width" option.

Milo Grika November 15, 2019

When you create a new page, you are presented with the Create window which contains the Blank page (old) (going away soon) template:

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 4.10.12 PM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events