Challenges faced by Site Admin to manage multiple Spaces

Muddu April 12, 2023

Our client has over 20 Spaces, each containing approximately 3 groups, for a total of around 60 groups. The Site Admins have limited access and are often granted admin privileges for multiple spaces. To manage each space, a Space Admin is usually appointed.

1- Is it possible for the Site Admin to assign permissions to Groups/Individual users that cannot be altered by a Space Admin? This is due to the Site Admin's concern about any unintentional deletion of Spaces by Space Admin.

2- What is the most efficient method for managing multiple users across various spaces without overwhelming the Site Admin with user management responsibilities?

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

Hi @Muddu 

1. Based on Confluence's permissions, you can't make someone a Space admin without having the ability to delete a space. Space admins have by default this "power" . Space admins can have the ability to grant/revoke space permissions.
  2. For me there are two solutions:
    1. A site admin manages all users, which lead to huge maintenance from his side (if he is just one)
    2. A site admin delegate this responsibilities to space admins (which imo is the right thing to do). Space admins must have accountability for what they do.

Hope the above helps!

Muddu April 12, 2023

Thank you Alex for your quick response.

I understand now that we can't stop a Space Admin from deleting a Space.

I have two follow up questions as below: 

1 - Can a Site Admin RESTRICT a Space Admin from delegating admin privileges to Individual users of that Space?

2 - Can a Site Admin control the level of access for users of a space that cannot be overridden by space admin

Reason being it is possible for a Space Admin to delegate admin privileges to an Individual user who is unfamiliar with the associated privileges and responsibilities, which could lead to their misuse.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

@Muddu 

Unfortunately the answer to first questions is no. A space admin can't be restricted in granting admin permission to other users.

Concerning the second question, what you could possibly do, but I haven't tested it, is to create on the space two different "starting pages". One page will host all pages that the space admin can impose restrictions to. On the second page you will impose from the start an editing restriction to e.g. site admins and all the rest will have viewing permissions.

Muddu April 12, 2023

Thank you Alex. Will look into your suggestion.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events