Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certificate error when linking Confluence and Jira Service Desk. What am I missing?

Nic Smits August 17, 2017

Hello,

I am trying to link my Confluence (paid) and Jira Service Desk (trial) instances together. Both have been configured to run on port 443 with a certificate signed by my company's Root CA.

When I make an application link in either application, pointing to the other, I get back a 'certificate cannot be trusted' error message.

Can someone walk through my 'big picture' steps below, and let me know what I'm missing? I'm sure I'm close, but am probably missing a step to make it all work.

Thank you!

Steps I've taken:

(Install and Configure Confluence)

• Installed Confluence on a machine named 'confluence'
  • Created a CNAME in DNS called kb.company.com that points to the 'confluence' machine
  • On the 'confluence' machine, created a keystore and made a certificate request file
  • The name listed in the certificate request is kb.company.com
  • Converted the certificate request to an actual certificate on my Root CA
  • On the 'confluence' machine, imported the new certificate (with alias kb) and the Root CA (with alias root) into the keystore
  • Editted Confluence's base user to kb.company.com, then adjusted the server.xml to run on port 443 with my keystore and it's password, then adjusted the web.xml file to redirect requests on port 80 to port 443
  • Restarted the 'confluence' machine, and verified that Confluence started normally and is accessible from kb.company.com without a cert. error in my web browser

(Install and Configure Jira Service Desk)

• Installed Jira Service Desk on a machine named 'atlassian-test'
  • Created a CNAME in DNS called helptest.company.com that points to the 'atlassian-test' machine
  • On the 'atlassian-test' machine, created a keystore and made a certificate request file
  • The name listed in the certificate request is helptest.company.com
  • Converted the certificate request to an actual certificate on my Root CA
  • On the 'atlassian-test' machine, imported the new certificate (with alias helptest) and the Root CA (with alias root) into the keystore
  • Editted Jira Service Desk's base user to helptest.company.com, then adjusted the server.xml to run on port 443 with my keystore and it's password, then adjusted the web.xml file to redirect requests on port 80 to port 443
  • Restarted the 'atlassian-test' machine, and verified that Jira Service Desk started normally and is accessible from helptest.company.com without a cert. error in my web browser

(Linking)

• In Confluence, created an application link to 'helptest.company.com'
  • Confluence corrected link from http to https, but then said it 'did not receive a response from the server'
  • On the following screen, changed drop-down settings from Generic Application to Jira and clicked save
  • Application link displays as 'network error' and says 'certificate cannot be trusted' when you scroll over it
  • In Jira Service Desk, did a mirror of the Confluence steps pointing to 'kb.company.com'
  • Noted that same errors appear

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2017

Hi Nic,

The steps you describe are sound for running Confluence and JIRA over SSL but if they are going to "talk" to each other via application links, another keystore, called a "truststore" (usually a file named "cacerts") on each application has to contain the certificate for the other application. Please see:  Connecting to LDAP or JIRA applications or Other Services via SSL

I look forward to hearing whether the application links work after importing the certificates into the truststores.

Thanks,

Ann

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events