Case Law databse

Garth Hetterly October 24, 2018

Sorry to bother but I don't know if this database will work well for my project. I'm not a lawyer but I'm going into mediation over an insurance claim. The insurance company has lawyers so I'm trying to match some of the database search skills. My hope is to load cases into the search engine, highlight some text or phrases to create a database that I could search while we are in discussion. For example the lawyers might say in the case of x vs y  that something was ruled upon by the judge - I would need to look at read the head notes and maybe my own notes and have the case available to read. The case material is available. I think of it as a impressive TOC and impressive index but also a database that I could search something like "pre-existing condition" and it would tell me that their are 10 hits with the document title. 

Would that be easily setup in the apps?

Thanks

Garth

1 answer

0 votes
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2018

Hi @Garth Hetterly,

To be clear, your requirements are:

1. highlight phrases or text from a large documentation base and put it in Confluence

2.  The highlighted text should be searchable

If this is correct you are covered with Confluence as long as the documents are PDF or Office.  If they are PDF make sure they are OCR and not images because then they are not searchable.  

In Confluence you can search all documents that you upload from office or PDF (assuming OCR).  This way you could upload the documentation into Confluence.  Take notes on pages where the documentation is uploaded (maybe different page trees for different cases?) And use the confluence search to find the specific part of documentation that you are looking for.

The only concern I might have is duplicate results if you take notes that are the same as the documents you upload.

I would highly suggest getting a trial cloud license of confluence and testing it out first to make sure it works for your specific case.

Good luck either way!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events