Cannot seem to create a template with Anchors and internal page links (#link)?

I have been tasked to create some templates in Confluence. I can create a tamplate and places anchors without any issues. But when I place the internal page #link it replaces the link with "bad link"

If you create the page then edit it, then save it, the links then work and render correctly. Is this a bug or intended behavior?

6 answers

I have been experiencing the same issue. But I tried the workaround specified in the Atlassian bug ticket linked above using link markup [link text|#anchorname] in the template and although it still looks broken when creating the page, as soon as I save the page using the template, the anchor links do work.

I tried the work around noted by Michelle, using the markup (like you would in a JIRA issue comment), and it also worked.  After the final close bracket and 'enter', it displays as "Broken Link" inside the template itself, and then shows just a "0" for the text when viewing the template.  But, when actually creating a new page from template and publishing, the text displays as intended and the anchor links works.

Only bummer is that you can't edit the anchor inside the template or view what you were intended later, and can't copy/paste to other places within the page, but those are small prices to pay for the workaround to work!  

Have long wanted this option, glad I did some additional Google searches today when someone else in my organization asked about how to do this!

This workaround worked for me, too, so thank you, Michelle!

Hi Karl,

Just for clarification:

1. Created a page with Anchor Macro (Anchor Name : link).
  2. Created other page and link it to first page. (It worked)
  3. Edited anchor macro name to "RenamedLink"
  4. Used my second page and it works fine.
  5. Created a link in first page
  6. It works fine.
  7. Renamed anchor macro
  8. The link in the first page is not working.

Is that your scenario?! Would you please tell me what version of Confluence are you using and What is your browser?!

Cheers,

Saleh

Here are the steps to re-create the issues: -

1. Create a Template (has to be a template not an actual page)
  2. Add an Anchor Macro (with any name e.g. link)
  3. Create a link to the Anchor name (e.g. [#link], [#Actions])
  4. You get a (!) Broken Link displayed
  5. Broken Link image
  6. Also if you create it via the link macro you get the error "The markup provided is not valid link markup" and you cannot click insert. There is an anchor called "Anction" and one called "Actions" on the page.
  7. Markup error
  8. If you save the template with the broken link error above it will save fine.
  9. You can then create a page using the template.
  10. The links will still be broken links but when you press save on the page you created using the template all the links will work and display correctly.

We are using Confluence 5.4.2.

I am also using Firefox 26.0

Take a look at CONF-26897 . It seems that it is a bug.

Thank you. I will keep with the broken link method achieves what I need even if it is a bit messy for now

As you are affected by the bug with CONF-26897 ticket number, I would recommend that you watch the ticket to receive the updates and workaround.

Cheers,

Saleh

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,694 views 26 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you