Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot login after upgrade - troubleshoot authentication failures??

John Dunlap February 19, 2012

I attempted to upgrade from confluence 3.5.2 to 4.1.5. It starts up fine and I can get to the login screen but no matter what I do I cannot login. I've tried everything I can think of. There aren't any errors in the logs, that I can find, which would explain this. The log tells me that I failed to login but does not tell me why.

I even went through some steps I found on the confluence confluence :P for manually changing my password through SQL: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+Passwords+To+Recover+Admin+User+Rights

but this did not help.

I'm not using Crowd. I'm not using LDAP.

I have no idea why it's failing to authenticate me. It always worked before. Also, when I click the forgot password link, I'm told that I don't have a mail server configured and I do! I'm triple checked that my javax.mail.Session resource is in server.xml exactly like it's supposed to be, as is my javax.sql.DataSource resource for the database. The data source is referenced from data/confluence-cfg.xml just like it's supposed to be. I've verified that the username/password can connect to the database over localhost.

I've even tried changing the security log level in log4j.properties to DEBUG and it didn't give me any extra information. I have no idea what's wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-John

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2012

Hi John,

A stab in the dark, but you're not hitting this issue are you? - http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=230817988

Andrew.

It doesn't look like it. I'm using MySQL,

mysql> select directory_name,active from cwd_directory;
+-------------------------------+--------+
| directory_name                | active |
| Confluence Internal Directory | T      |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

I appear to have fixed the problem... Although I have NO idea why it worked. I was trying to figure out what was happening so I enabled the MySQL query log so I could see what queries were being executed, mostly just to confirm that they WERE being executed. At any rate, enabling the query log required a MySQL restart and after that I was able to log in.... It fixed it but I have no idea why.

It happened to me again a few minutes ago after a server restart while I was tweaking the mail server configuration. I think the MySQL restart was coincidental. All I had to do was wait a few minutes and I could log in again. It might be some kind of security lockout.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2012

Ff you have some kind of automated login hitting your Confluence instance with an old password (for example, an RSS Reader), you can very quickly hit the failed login limit and cause your account to become locked - could this be the case in your situation?

John Dunlap February 20, 2012

No. All I have is my web browser(Firefox). Although, the lockouts tend to coincide with server restarts.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events