Cannot export to word.

Simon Allan April 3, 2019

Hi,

I can export a Confluence page to PDF not problem.

I have a problem when exporting to word, but only for a particular Confluence page.

Chrome gives me this:

This site can’t be reached

The web page at https://esl.atlassian.net/wiki/exportword?pageId=XXXXX might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE

(yes I changed that to read XXXX)

Firefox gives me this:

File not found

An error occurred during a connection to esl.atlassian.net.

Check the file name for capitalisation or other typing errors.
Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

I have no issue exporting other pages, typically it's just a problem with the one I want!

Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2019

Hello there Simon!

The issue you describe seems to be really localized! We can try to copy the page somewhere else, rename it and then  try again:

1. Go to the affected page
  2. Click the Three dots menu (...) at the top right corner
  3. Click Copy
  4. Change the page name to something simple, like Test
  5. Publish
  6. Try exporting to Word

However, could you clarify a few details for us? Here they are:

1. Does this happen with any browser?
  2. Is this affecting other users as well?
  3. Do you have any Macro on this page?
  4. Were you able to export this in the past?
  5. Are you able to edit the affected page?

Looking forward to your reply!

Simon Allan April 8, 2019

Thanks for the reply Diego

I started to run through your list of suggestions, but with no luck.

But it got me thinking, especially after making the copy as you suggested and it having the same issue. I wondered if something in the content was a problem...

After a slightly painful process-of-elimination, one, and only one of my multiple images was the issue! Removing this issue solved it.

What's odd though is the image is from the same source and type as the other, nothing remarkably different about it. I've replaced it and it's all good now.

Very strange, thanks for your help as it did in the end lead me to solving the problem.

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

Hey, great to hear that you got around the issue!

And yes, it is quite strange that an image was causing all this hassle. Was the image showing up as expected when viewing / editing the page?

Nonetheless, glad to hear that you can now export your page.

Simon Allan April 8, 2019

Yes, image looked just fine in edit and preview, just like any other.

Very odd, but very glad it's fixed.

Thanks again.

Tony Lock
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 19, 2019

I too was having this problem, and resolved it exactly the same way. Removed the images. Images were cut and pasted in from other Windows based applications and Confluence pages. Then I used restore version to go back to the one that included the images. I would not say that this is a long term workable solution however.

Like # people like this
Eric Obser October 15, 2019

we are currently facing the same issue. Asking to my dev to check all the images is not a solution. And will ask me again if confluence is the good solution

Like JR likes this
JR
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 13, 2019

Same problem for us

Maha vishnu v June 25, 2020

Same problem for us , No images were used in page and Label macros and Issue link jira macros were in use on this specific page . 

Jochem Vlug
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 14, 2021

Same issue here, maybe using Anchors as links is the problem? I really don't have time to remove content of the page until it finally works. Last time for me to work on documentation in confluence..

1 vote
Nur Ahmad Furlong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 21, 2024

Word export has simply never worked, the files can never be read by word apps of any kind, this is after trying to years many times. It's a dud feature

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events