Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use Excerpt Include macro in Confluence Templates?

Alexis Marticorena February 16, 2022

I'm attempting to add an Excerpt Include macro to a page template. Getting the "error rendering" message: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/error-rendering-macro-excerpt-include-no-link-could-be-created-for-756941815.html

I can successfully use the Excerpt Include macro (pointing to the same excerpt I attempted to use in my template) on other, non-template pages so I'm wondering if the issue is that the Excerpt Include macro simply cannot be used for templates. 

3 answers

3 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2022

Hi @Alexis Marticorena ,

I've tried to paste an Excerpt Include macro to a newly created custom template on our test Cloud instance, made a page using this template and everything works just fine for me.

Maybe you use our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app? Try to do the same with its Table Excerpt Include macro that is an advanced version of the standard macro - it also should be working fine.

Alexis Marticorena February 17, 2022

Thanks, Katerina!

Your mention that you had "made a page using this template" made me realize that I hadn't gone that extra step - and in doing so, I discovered that it worked (despite the "error rendering" message that still appeared on the template itself). 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Marticorena February 17, 2022

I got it to work! Here's what I observed:

Despite the fact that I was seeing the "error rendering" message in the template edit view, I saved the template anyway & attempted to create a page from the template.

Voila! It appeared just fine when I was looking at a page created from the template.

So, in the future, I will temporarily ignore the "error rendering" message & test it out with a newly created page. I feel a bit silly for not going that extra step yesterday when I was trying to get it to work but now I know! 

Peter Norris July 4, 2022

Hm. I can't get it to work.

I've defined the Excerpt on a normal Confluence page.

I've tested the Excerpt by successfully including it on a new Confluence page.

On a custom template I've "included" the same Excerpt, and I get the "error rendering" message as you describe.

However, when I create a normal page from the Template, it doesn't pull in the Excerpt - I still get the "error rendering" message.

Any thoughts?

Alexis Marticorena July 5, 2022

My only top-of-mind thought is to ask whether you attempted to publish the page created from the template, because I know some of the macros don't render while the page is in 'edit' mode. 

Otherwise, maybe try @Matt Reiner _K15t_ 's suggestion below? 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 17, 2022

@Alexis Marticorena

Maybe try creating and configuring the macro on a page and then copying and pasting it into the template.

I feel like I've had to do that before 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events