Can you import content form confluence version 3.5 to 5.1?

Martin Moser May 22, 2013

Hello all,

we are running confluence 3.5 at the moment and thinking about upgrading to version 5.1.

I am wondering if it is possible (and maybe easier) to bring up a fresh, empty version of confluence 5.1 and only import the spaces and pages we actually want to keep versus upgrading the existing version 3.5 instance and all its contents to version 5.1. Maybe somebody has tried this already?

Thanks for all feedback!
Martin

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

Hi Martin!

Since Confluence database changed after version 3.5, an upgraded is needed to change all the information to it's new format. This means that the data must "fit" on the database and at the same time, the content must be migrated from wiki-markup to XHTML (which is current used on the editor).

Another important thing is that you may try upgrading to at least version 4 (that already uses XHTML) of Confluence and after that export all Spaces to a new Confluence.

Cheers!

Martin Moser May 23, 2013

Hi Bruna,

thanks for the quick reply! If I understand you right, the conversion of content from the old wiki markup to the new xhtml format can only be done through a system version upgrade (i.e. 3.5 to 4 or higher) and not on any content exported from version 3.5 alone. In other words I cannot export a space in what ever way from version 3.5, convert that export to xhtml and then import it to a version 4 (or higher) system. Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Martin

Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2013

Hi Martin,

That's right! You'd need to export a XML from a version and import into the same version of confluence. In other words, this make the import into other versions impossible. It's not advisable to do so and the application should block this procedure if done for different versions.

You'd need to upgrade confluence first, then export the space, then import into a confluence of the same major version E.G. 4.1.2 to 4.1.3, not 4.0 to 4.1.

I hope this helps!

Rodrigo

<object id="9b0a8b9b-48ca-8d90-981a-48a1d9b9b78a" style="position: absolute; left: 0px; top: 0px;" type="application/gas-events-bb" width="0" height="0"></object>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events