Can you hide text from someone viewing a page, but make it visible to someone editing the page?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

If I were composing an html page, I could just use an html comment:

<! -- editors will see this but not viewers -->

Is there a functional equivalent in Confluence (Cloud) ?

Thanks,

Kel

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

Yes, but it's a bit of a pain to get to.

Confluence has templates which are simply pages with pre-populated text on them.  They're essentially the same as pages, but when you're editing a template, you have an additonal formatting option - you can flag content as "placeholder".

When you use a template to create a page, if you leave the placeholder text there, then you'll see it during create and edit, but not when viewing the page.

Problem though - the editor does not give you the option to add or flag placeholder text.  You have to go off to create a page from a template that uses it, or edit a page that has some, copy some of the content flagged as placeholder, then go back to edit the page you want to add it to, and paste it in, then change the content.

So clunky, as it's not quite what Atlassian intend placeholder text to be used for (they expect authors to replace it, not use it for in-line guidance), but yes, you can get there.

(For what it's worth, it's been the same in Server for many years, since before Cloud!  I'm glad they've not blocked placeholder text completely!)

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

Thanks Nic, was hoping for something less clunky, but that will work!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events