Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you delete the contents of multiple cells in a table?

Robert S Levy September 7, 2018

I have a very large table in confluence and i need to delete the contents of multiple cells. Is there a way to do this in batches (ie: highlight and delete). That does not seem to work and one at a time is tedious.

6 answers

3 votes
Patrick O_Connell June 3, 2019

I, too, was looking to delete the contents of multiple cells in a table, today. What's suggested here is a kludge, not a real solution.

In fact, I wound up deleting the column, then re-adding it—I only lost the heading cell, and I needed to alpha-sort what was below it.

Confluence could be far more functional, with respect to this. Look to Word: You can delete the contents of cells, or the cells themselves.

Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek

2 votes

Hi All,

You can do this by hilghting the respectve cells and click Shift+delete.

Thanks,
Sharath Mohandas

Tryzens LiveOperation Services.

Cate Page November 25, 2022

Great! Thank you - this works for row cells. It doesn't seem to work for column cells for me - should it?

2 votes
Dirk Schiller July 19, 2022

There is a hidden feature in tables to be able to delete cells in a column.

- Put the caret in the first cell you want to empty
- Now hold Shift-Key and press Arrow-Down-Key that many times how many rows you have minus 1 ( If you have 4 rows press Arrow-Down-Key 3 times )
- Now press Backspace or Delete Key to empty those cells

Note: The selection is only visible in the first Cell not in the others

This technique also works if you select multiple cells in a row

miedlarminprog July 22, 2022

doesn't work

Dirk Schiller July 22, 2022

What happens when you do it ?

Like arnabbanerjee likes this
arnabbanerjee October 23, 2022

It actually works! But a bit spooky :)

Works for columns, rows and both combined!.

Btw, if anyone else is trying, CARET is the following key -->  "`"

Dirk Schiller October 24, 2022

With caret I mean the blinking text cursor ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_navigation )

Like Tom Hawkins likes this
0 votes
henrik_gerdtsson February 16, 2024

I was struggling with this. I finally found that highlighting the cells using shift + arrow keys and then pressing shift + delete cleared all the highlighted cells. 

0 votes
Julien Schröder November 7, 2022

Hi, 

I'm having the same problem. When I mark text in a row, it only ends up deleting the last cells' content. Basically, it highlights everything but it super-highlights the last cells' content. What can I do to fix this on Data Center?

Best, 
Julien

0 votes
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2018

Hi Robert,

This should be possible by highlighting the cells you want to delete and then selecting delete. At least on server version this is possible. You can also select multiple columns and rows (highlighting them) and removing them via the bar up top.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2018

conf.PNG

This was the bar I mentioned.

Rahul Shah February 18, 2022

The bar you mentioned only deletes entire row or column, but not the contents of multiple selected cells within the row or column

Like arnabbanerjee likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events