Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can you delete the contents of multiple cells in a table?

I have a very large table in confluence and i need to delete the contents of multiple cells. Is there a way to do this in batches (ie: highlight and delete). That does not seem to work and one at a time is tedious.

5 answers

I, too, was looking to delete the contents of multiple cells in a table, today. What's suggested here is a kludge, not a real solution.

In fact, I wound up deleting the column, then re-adding it—I only lost the heading cell, and I needed to alpha-sort what was below it.

Confluence could be far more functional, with respect to this. Look to Word: You can delete the contents of cells, or the cells themselves.

Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek

There is a hidden feature in tables to be able to delete cells in a column.

- Put the caret in the first cell you want to empty
- Now hold Shift-Key and press Arrow-Down-Key that many times how many rows you have minus 1 ( If you have 4 rows press Arrow-Down-Key 3 times )
- Now press Backspace or Delete Key to empty those cells

Note: The selection is only visible in the first Cell not in the others

This technique also works if you select multiple cells in a row

What happens when you do it ?

Like arnabbanerjee likes this

It actually works! But a bit spooky :)

Works for columns, rows and both combined!.

Btw, if anyone else is trying, CARET is the following key -->  "`"

Hi, 

I'm having the same problem. When I mark text in a row, it only ends up deleting the last cells' content. Basically, it highlights everything but it super-highlights the last cells' content. What can I do to fix this on Data Center?

Best, 
Julien

Hi All,

You can do this by hilghting the respectve cells and click Shift+delete.

Thanks,
Sharath Mohandas

Tryzens LiveOperation Services.

Great! Thank you - this works for row cells. It doesn't seem to work for column cells for me - should it?

0 votes

Hi Robert,

This should be possible by highlighting the cells you want to delete and then selecting delete. At least on server version this is possible. You can also select multiple columns and rows (highlighting them) and removing them via the bar up top.

Bryan Trummer Community Leader Sep 07, 2018

conf.PNG

This was the bar I mentioned.

The bar you mentioned only deletes entire row or column, but not the contents of multiple selected cells within the row or column

Like arnabbanerjee likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events