Can we upload screenshots in confluence through mobile without changing the last modied/name of file

abhijeet kumar September 25, 2019

Requirement: I need to upload screenshots through my phone into confluence and then download it to my machine where i make a document and upload again to other application.

Problem: When i upload screenshots through my mobile(android) to confluence, Its sequence gets changed. So i tried to download all screenshots and write script in java to arrange through the last modified/ name (to avoid manual work). But the problem is , while uploading confluence change all the properties which initially having timestamp when it was on phone. 

Question: can i upload screenshots with the same name (having timestamp)/unaltered last modified or is there any option that the sequence of my uploaded screenshot not gets altered? 

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Hello Abhijeet,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you here!

Regardless of whether you uploaded the attachment to Confluence via the mobile app or the desktop app, the date shown will always be the date that the attachment was added to Confluence. It will not match the date in the metadata of when the photo was taken.

From my understanding, you are trying to get screenshots you made on your Android phone onto your machine so you can add them to a document and upload them to another application. Is that correct?

If that is correct, I recommend that you change your workflow so that you are directly sending your images to your desktop.

Apple users can currently use the AirDrop feature for this, but Android doesn't appear to have a feature for this besides Android Beam.

I understand that Android is currently working on a feature that could help with this in the future called Fast Share. For more details, see: Android will have an equivalent to Apple's AirDrop file sharing.

As a workaround, you can install Files by Google: Clean up space on your phone. This should allow you to send the images from your Android to your desktop.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

abhijeet kumar September 30, 2019

Thanks Shannon for your advice and answer.Yes you understand correctly,But the problem is , we have to work on virtual machine (i.e Client machine). So can't connect our devices to it. Although working on simulators can work, but its again not worthy for manual testers.

1. Is there anything that we can modify in confluence workflow? or is there anyway that i can upload folder of screenshot through mobile, So that confluence will not alter the sequence of files inside the folder.  

2. We cannot use any public repository due to security reasons, So please let me know if the above written way in point 1  can be done by any other atlassian tool like jira or any (Uploading of files has to be done by mobile only).

3. Is it possible that we can upload multiple screenshot having date and time as well .

4. Because of same property of screenshot having just date, its impossible to identify them separately , The name of screenshot given by confluence is different but i am not able to find the logic behind it. See if that way is possible then please let me know how.

Thanks in advance.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

@abhijeet kumar,

Thank you for confirming that; I understand now.

The truth is that Confluence isn't really the best tool for transmitting attachments from your phone to your client's machine, as it doesn't keep the information you require. There is no way to change that behavior.

WebDAV was formerly available for Confluence Cloud, and this would've been the easiest way to do that, but it has since been deprecated.

The only other solution I can think of for within Confluence would be to upload the attachments in a zip file. You would need to see if there's some way to do that with an Android phone. There are likely a few apps for that on Google Play.

If that doesn't work, I would look into seeing if your client's IT team has an SSH or FTP server that you can use to transmit the files, or use e-mail, Dropbox, or something similar in order to transmit your files.

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

abhijeet kumar October 1, 2019

Thanks a lot Shannon. The knowledge you shared is really helpful.

File compress is a default function available. Please let me know if we can upload zip file from android to confluence. 

Thanks once again.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 2, 2019

Hello there,

You can add the zip file to your page in Confluence using the Add File option.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events