Can we turn off the notify watchers by default for OnDemand?

Beren Harris July 15, 2013

Regarding the subject question:

I found the answer to the already asked "How to make Notify Watchers in Edit page mode to be unchecked by default?" question very exciting.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/92202/how-to-make-notify-watchers-in-edit-page-mode-to-be-unchecked-by-default

However, it doesn't say if thats for OnDemand or Downloaded (Self Hosted) version.

I would like to turn this off for my OnDemand version.

Also, if this is the same answer for the OnDemand version, can you please explain how this is done as we use confluence for a Knowledge Base mainly and i am unfamiliar with advanced changes like this.

Thanks,
Beren

11 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Beren Harris July 22, 2013

Answer appears to be that for OnDemand environments, it can't be modified and the modification of which pages are autowatched & which pages are watched for each user needs to be completed.

16 votes
PatrickO November 5, 2013

There should be a preference to turn OFF the default checked box to notify watchers. It's a hassle and another step (eg. wasted clicks/time) when working in the platform. If I make 30 edits to a page, whichi is very common. why on Earth would I need to uncheck something 29 times when I'm saving????

Our product team is getting sick and tired of this already and they aren't even fully using the system yet. Fix this!

5 votes
Andrew Drury February 3, 2014

I agree that it should be a simple check / uncheck control to set the default position. When authoring, I want the default position to be not to notify watchers. When the content is operationsal I want the default position to that watchers are notified. I want to be able to control this easily, as an administrator i.e not have to worry about scripts etc.

JP Foerster June 24, 2016

I agree 100% – in this post-email era, default for "Notify Watchers" checkbox should be <off>.

//jp

1 vote
Jared J October 11, 2019

I barely use confluence due to its lack of end user control over small things like this. Systems need to work for me and ease my effort, not the opposite.

1 vote
Grzegorz Nowak March 28, 2016

Yes, there should be an option to disable it for OnDemand (cloud version). It is very strange that this is not an option here in 2016?

1 vote
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2013
Beren Harris July 22, 2013

Those answers, unless i'm mistaken, are all for the downloadable version of Confluence.

I did finally find something that seems to mention that modifying the HTML is one of the system level changes that can't be modified when using the OnDemand version.

I am happy to just leave it. I ended up just modifying the 'Watched Pages' from each of the users that was having the issues, and also unticked the 'Auto Watch' for new pages created.

0 votes
Roberto Andrade May 22, 2015

Looks like this was finally changed. I just noticed on my OnDemand instance it's off by default now. Not sure if there's an option to control the default but I think the new default is probably what most people prefer anyways.

EDIT: actually, it's not off by the default now but actually keeps the last settings you had picked, as per https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-8276

0 votes
Jason Nejezchleb April 10, 2015

This should be a simple checkbox. I'm having to uncheck as a I makes save to only send the team notifications that are important, not my draft changes.

0 votes
Andrew Drury February 3, 2014

er..........thanks Mick. I'm using Firefox. Anything for that?

Thx

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2014

Andrew,

Sorry I can't. But what happens if you save the details I used in Chrome as a .jar file?

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2014

There's a load of info here about deselecting the Notify box, which is helpful if you're using Chrome: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/196007/what-did-you-changed-default-not-notify

0 votes
Daniel Graetzer January 22, 2014

Agreed, we would like to see the checkbox unchecked by default in the OnDemand version. So many emails!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events