Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the HTML source of a page be returned via REST API (v2)?

Kirsten Cox March 28, 2023

Hello! 

I am writing a script to improve the release notes generation for my team. I'm using the v2 API to generate the page, and I'd like to return the HTML to be posted to our external knowledge base.

I'm having a hard time getting the GET return body to be in html format instead of json. This article from 2018 has the solution for the v1 API, but that solution isn't compatible with v2. 

• Is there a way to return a published page's HTML content?
    • If not, can I still use the v1 API? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Hi @Kirsten Cox 

Will the following endpoint help you?

https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/wiki/api/v2/pages/{PAGEID}?body-format=storage

The above endpoint, if not mistaken, will get the result of the accepted answer of your link.

Concerning the old endpoint, it still valid and you can use it. But I have no idea for how long.

Kirsten Cox April 3, 2023

Hi there, that did help, I was able to get an HTML return. I have an additional question, if you don't mind.

I have a Jira table generated with a JQL query, do you know if I can get the contents of the table returned instead of just the macro structure? 

For example, I'm current returning this:

<hr /><ac:structured-macro ac:name=\"jira\" ac:schema-version=\"1\" data-layout=\"full-width\" ac:local-id=\"\" ac:macro-id=\"9932a9f0-89d7-4d89-be7b-6cd50c9a3c6a\"><ac:parameter ac:name=\"server\">System JIRA</ac:parameter><ac:parameter ac:name=\"columns\">key,summary,type,hospital system,product,service line</ac:parameter><ac:parameter ac:name=\"maximumIssues\">1000</ac:parameter><ac:parameter ac:name=\"jqlQuery\">fixVersion = 'CMX-Automate 2.0.26' AND issuetype IN (10010,10004,10127,10130) </ac:parameter><ac:parameter ac:name=\"serverId\"></ac:parameter></ac:structured-macro>

I'd like to return the contents within the table.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

@Kirsten Cox unfortunately I don't know. You can create a new post on the community for your last question. Someone else can perhaps have the answer to your 2nd question.

Like Kirsten Cox likes this
Parth Vyas July 12, 2023

@Kirsten Cox , Were you able to fetch the css details for the page as well?
I'm trying to build something similar but seem to have the plain HTML content returned via the API. 

Kirsten Cox July 13, 2023

@Parth Vyas What I ended up doing was just calling the Jira API to get the tickets, then formatting them within my script. The API was just returning the configuration of the JQL macro, not the tickets themselves. 

I'm not sure about the CSS, from a few googles it looks like you can only return the HTML body, and whatever inline styling is included there.

Parth Vyas July 13, 2023

@Kirsten Cox Thanks. I too arrived at a similar conclusion. Maybe the /content API isn't usable the way I intend to.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events