Can't subscribe to Team Calendar from OWA

MadelineBarr November 23, 2017

Hello all,

To start off, here's what I am working with.
Environment 

• Confluence on prem 6.2.4
  • Team Calendar 5.3.20
  • No Anonymous access
  • Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
  • LDAP Authentication

What works

Using Outlook 2010 on my desktop and I am able to subscribe to a Team Calendar on Confluence.

The Problem

In the Outlook Web App, I am unable to subscribe to the same calendar. A blank calendar is displayed and I receive the message,

"This calendar hasn't been updated yet. If it doesn't update in 10 minutes verify the calendar URL is correct by clicking Share in the Calendar toolbar, and then clicking Show Calendar URL"

I've read a number of documents and can't find anything on this. The documents either state the wrong direction (Outlook calendar in Confluence) or shows instructions for Outlook 2010, not the OWA.

What I am looking for

Can someone point me to some documentation about subscribing to a Team Calendar using the Outlook Web App? Even if it is documentation stating that it is not supported. (I thought I saw something about Exchange not being supported but I can't find it now.)

Thanks

2 answers

2 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2017

Hi Madeline,

I found some material on the way OWA works with web calendars. Apparently, when you use your local Outlook client, your own machine "talks" to Confluence but when you use OWA the Exchange server has to retrieve the calendar. When it is not set up to do so you get the message you are reporting.

This article has the instructions for how to configure Exchange: 
Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 - Unable to View Yahoo and Hotmail Calendars in Outlook Web App

If you are not the email administrator you will need to ask whoever works with Exchange on your team to make the change. I recommend they try it on a test system first.

It may be that the network doesn't allow Exchange to communicate with the Confluence server, in which case the Team Calendar will not be able to be retrieved by OWA.

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

Ann

0 votes
MadelineBarr November 27, 2017

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your reply. This information is perfect. 

I am not the email admin and this isn't a decision I make. I will bring the information forward and if we decide to try to configure Exchange I will let you know how it goes.

Are there and known risks or issue setting this up?

Thanks

Madeline

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2017

Really glad to help!

I am not aware of any known issues/risks but I would definitely test it first to avoid surprises in Production.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events