Can't split a word document on the headers that was created from an Excel spreadsheet

Nancy Bonanno January 8, 2020

I have previously created multiple Confluence pages at the same time by importing an MSWord document that has standard Header 1s.  Confluence splits the document into pages by those headers.

This time I created an MSWord document by copying an Excel speadsheet and pasting the rows AS TEXT into the document.  Then I styled the words at the front of each row as a standard Header 1.  But when I import the document into Confluence, I get the "This document can't be split because it doesn't contain Headers" message.

I'm using a standard Header style.  I don't see any strange characters.  I've tried putting the header text on its own line.  Why can't Confluence see these Headings and allow me to split?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Hi Nancy,

That's very strange, thank you for bringing this to us.

Could you tell me which version of Confluence you're using, and what your Microsoft Office version is? I'd like to test this out.

Regards,

Shannon

Nancy Bonanno January 10, 2020

This is Confluence 6.15.2 on a server.

MS Office 365 ProPlus.

It's very odd.  

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hello Nancy,

Thank you for your patience. I've been working on replicating this in my environment, using Office 365 with Confluence 6.15.2. 

I copied a row in Excel (single column, single row), and pasted it and formatted it to the Heading 1 style. I can confirm that when I import this Word document into Confluence, the headings are split properly.

Would you be able to create a test document in Word using the same method and replicate the sane behavior? How does the heading row appear in the Document? Is this a full row with many columns? 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Shannon

Nancy Bonanno January 17, 2020

Sure.  When you pasted, did you just use Ctrl-V?  Or did you Paste as Text?  Or something else?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2020

Hi Nancy,

I am on a Mac, so I used ⌘V to paste the content of the column. 

If you're using the entire table, I am not sure this would work as well but I'd like to see exactly how the page looked in Word before you imported it. I don't want you to send your original if it's private information for your company, so if you can make a test document that does the same, it can also help.

Regards,

Shannon

Nancy Bonanno January 21, 2020

So apparently the problem has something to do with pasting the Excel data as text into the page.  When I simply paste the Excel spreadsheet into the Word document, then make the first column all Headers 1, Confluence split each row into a page and put any additional information in the row as a table on the page.  Wonderful.  I was just over complicating it.  Thank you.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2020

Hi Nancy,

No worries, thank you for letting me know you were able to sort it out!

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week. :) 

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events