Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't easily paste a Google Sheets table into a Confluence table?

Manas Kulkarni April 20, 2020

Hi there,

We use Confluence for our team's Sprint Retro meetings, and one of the sections is a 3 column table that I populate by copying data from a Google Sheet. 

I used to just be able to copy and paste directly, and the data would populate perfectly in the rows and columns.

However, when I tried today, Confluence tried pasting all of the data into a single cell, even when I tried "Paste and Match Style" (I'm using Chrome if that helps.)

I wonder if this is a bug with the new Confluence layout that I just switched to? 

1 answer

2 votes
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

Hi @Manas Kulkarni ,

Hope you've already solved your problem because for us everything works fine (have just checked it for Confluence Cloud).

By the way, for large tables we use another workaround:

• copy the share link of your Google Docs Spreadsheet
  • change its ending: "edit?usp=sharing" -> "export?&format=tsv" (or "export?&format=csv")
  • paste the modified link to your browser and go to it: you will be prompted to download your file in the chosen format
  • use the Table from CSV macro to recreate your table in Confluence

The Table from CSV macro is a part of the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app which can help you to make pivots, perform calculations, merge and transform tables, freeze rows, built custom charts, etc.

It's a wonderful solution to enhance the standard Confluence functionality which provides an opportunity to perform all the required operations in Confluence without switching back to Google Docs or Excel.

Manas Kulkarni May 7, 2020

Thanks @Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}, good to know! I'll be testing it out next week for sure.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

And here is another option to connect you Google Sheets to the Table from CSV macro via a URL:

Step 1 Go to the Publish to the web tab

image2020-10-2_16-57-51.png

Step 2 Choose the CSV type and allow other users to see it

image2020-10-2_16-58-38.png

Step 3 Get the required URL for the Table from CSV macro

image2020-10-2_16-59-9.png

MOh G May 9, 2022

@Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}  what if it is necessary to authenticate using Corp.  account?

the macro can't authenticate to the generated shared URL and displays this error

Failed to retrieve data from URL:

Request failed: 403 Forbidden

In a Macro like Google Drive, it would display an authentication window to get a token from Google services

Any workaround?

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2022

Hi @MOh G , I'm sorry, I'm out of the office for the next week.

Please contact our support team.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events