Can't display mp4 video using Multimedia macro after exporting to HTML

Kris Fininen July 23, 2018

We're trying to use the Multimedia macro to insert an .mp4 video file and then export the page to HTML. The video works great on the Confluence page but after exporting to HTML using Confluence's HTML export, we get the error, "Video format or MIME type is not supported."

When exporting using Scroll HTML Exporter we get the error, "Your browser does not support the HTML5 video element." I think this may just be wrong because as far as I know, Firefox does support the HTML5 <video> tag. The fact the video plays great on the Confluence page (in Firefox) also confirms Firefox supports the tag and the video format.

We are using Windows 10 and Firefox 56.0.1. Both the <video> tag and the mp4 video format should be supported in both the OS and the browser.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2018

Hi Kris!

I was able to reproduce the behavior you're describing in Firefox. The error shown is misleading, because I found actual cause of the issue was that the file path in the <video> tag is incorrect. When Confluence exports pages with attachments, it does not always properly update attachment paths in macros.

To fix this, update the file path in the <video> tag of the HTML file to point to the correct file path.

As an example, in my case, this meant updating from...

<video src="/c691/download/attachments/3375142/MyVideo.mp4" height="380" width="480" $properties.html5Autoplay controls>

to...

<video src="attachments/3375142/3375149.mp4" height="380" width="480" $properties.html5Autoplay controls>

If you have a large amount of attachments in your export, you should be able to find the proper file by searching for files with the .mp4 extension, or by searching for the page ID shown in the incorrect file path ("3375142" in the example above).

Bug ticket

We also have a bug ticket open with our developers for this issue: CONFSERVER-52839 – Some Macros related to attachments in HTML Export are broken. Feel free to vote and comment on this bug ticket to help give our developers more context around the issue (see also: Atlassian Bug Fixing Policy).

Thanks!
Zak

Kris Fininen July 25, 2018

Thanks, Zak! We'll keep this in mind and get the src pointed to the correct location. Appreciate the help. Also voted for CONFSERVER-52839, but there are only 7 of us voting for it so not sure this will get attention.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events