Can't create pages in new editor

Rich November 14, 2019

Since the new editing experience, I can't create new pages. I've tried on latest Chrome on both Windows and Mac, cleared cache, logged out and in again, no luck.

I've provided feedback on the page multiple times before the classic editor was turned off but now my organisation is basically locked out of creating new pages

To clarify, I can create a new draft or edit a page, but when the editor loads it's all greyed-out and disabled (title has HTML disabled attribute and content area has contenteditable=false — changing these in devtools doesn't make the rest of the editor useful though). Clicking on the title or content therefore does nothing and the editing toolbar is disabled.

I have no confluence add-ons enabled and getting my entire org to switch browser for a single web app is a no-go.

Atlassian are usually a company that have everything together but this is incredibly disappointing considering how much we're paying.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2019

Hello Rich,

Thank you for contacting us about this. I haven't seen this myself, but I've heard a few users aren't able to use the new editor in their internal networks due to security settings.

To confirm, does the issue only occur in Chrome? I'm not going to ask you to switch browsers, but I just want to make sure I understand the extent of the issue. I'd just like to rule out that it's not a Chrome-specific issue. Please test with another browser such as Firefox or Safari to be sure.

To troubleshoot, first go to websocketstest.com while connected to the network that you generally use to edit Confluence. We need to make sure that your network supports WSS.

Secondly, could you double-check with your network admins to see if any of our IP ranges or domains are being blocked that could prevent you from editing the page? 

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon

Rich November 15, 2019

Hi Shannon,

I can reproduce the issue in Chrome on both Windows and Mac but not on other browsers on either platform. E.g. Mac/Safari, Mac/Firefox, Windows/Edge all fine. Just Chrome on both platforms appears to have the problem.

Network settings all look fine — websockets are allowed and I've checked our router settings for any blocked domains/IP ranges.

Thanks

Rich

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2019

Rich,

Thank you for confirming that. Confluence Cloud only supports the latest stable release of Chrome. Could you confirm that you are currently on the latest version?

There was an issue in the past with Chrome 77, but there's a more recent release out so this is not happening anymore:

• CONFCLOUD-68223 Editing pages on certain versions on Chrome browser fails with Websocket error

That bug has since been merged with this one:

• CONFCLOUD-68168 Edit functions is grayed out in Confluence Cloud for certain users

If you do have the latest Chrome version, then you can also try the following:

1. Test with all add-ons disabled in Chrome.
  2. Test in Incognito Mode.
  3. Clear Chrome's cache.
  4. Test from an external network.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events