Can't connect to server at new Base Server URL Edited

Confluence server 6.6.0 is installed and running on localhost:8090, when I change this to support.companioncorp.com:8090 which resolves to the IP the server is assigned I can't connect using the new URL only localhost.

It seems like it should be simple and I'm following these instructions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-the-server-base-url-148592.html

1 answer

0 vote

What error do you see?  "I can't connect" tells us nothing (for all we know, it might be because there's a grumpy penguin sitting on your keyboard saying "no")

LOL, no grumpy penguins here.  I put in the new address into the browser it just spins and then says can't connect to server. No response, no error messages. But it continues to work on localhost.

:-)  Shame there's no emoticon for grumpy penguins.

A spinner and a timeout usually means the client machine cannot resolve the host, or that if it can, there's no response.

Check the host resolves with a ping or nslookup, and then if it does, the firewall rules.

I found that I had made a mistake in DNS and pointed the name to the wrong IP.  I've corrected that and can confirm I can ping the system by IP and a lookup returns the correct IP now.  But I still can't connect but I also can't ping it by name for some reason.

Ping doesn't always work - some of us disable it to make servers less obvious to attackers.

If you're still getting a timeout, but you know the lookup is ok, it's a firewall blocking access over that port.

Thanks, I'm making progress.  I'm finally able to ping via the DNS name from the server and was able to set the new Base URL and connect to it on the server.  But now it's not accepting my admin credentials that were working previously, so it's on to new problems...

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

371 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you