Can't connect to server at new Base Server URL

David Daniel December 14, 2017

Confluence server 6.6.0 is installed and running on localhost:8090, when I change this to support.companioncorp.com:8090 which resolves to the IP the server is assigned I can't connect using the new URL only localhost.

It seems like it should be simple and I'm following these instructions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-the-server-base-url-148592.html

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

What error do you see?  "I can't connect" tells us nothing (for all we know, it might be because there's a grumpy penguin sitting on your keyboard saying "no")

LOL, no grumpy penguins here.  I put in the new address into the browser it just spins and then says can't connect to server. No response, no error messages. But it continues to work on localhost.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

:-)  Shame there's no emoticon for grumpy penguins.

A spinner and a timeout usually means the client machine cannot resolve the host, or that if it can, there's no response.

Check the host resolves with a ping or nslookup, and then if it does, the firewall rules.

I found that I had made a mistake in DNS and pointed the name to the wrong IP.  I've corrected that and can confirm I can ping the system by IP and a lookup returns the correct IP now.  But I still can't connect but I also can't ping it by name for some reason.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

Ping doesn't always work - some of us disable it to make servers less obvious to attackers.

If you're still getting a timeout, but you know the lookup is ok, it's a firewall blocking access over that port.

Thanks, I'm making progress.  I'm finally able to ping via the DNS name from the server and was able to set the new Base URL and connect to it on the server.  But now it's not accepting my admin credentials that were working previously, so it's on to new problems...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events