Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add users to groups

Andy Yang October 2, 2011

I can't believe I'm asking this question, but there isn't anything in the Knowledge base that I can find.

I have a brand new install of Confluence 4.0 in a Windows 2008 VM. It is running as a Windows Service as Local Service. Confluence has synchronized to our AD instance and I can browse all of the users and groups.

However, when I try to add users to confluence-users or confluence-admins, nothing happens. If I create a new user, I am able to add that user to a group at that time.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Edwin Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2011

Do you have permission in AD to modify group memberships?

Andy Yang October 2, 2011

Aren't confluence-users and confluence-admins in the Confluence Internal Directory? (I have the internal directory set to be looked at first). I'm pretty sure I set up the AD integration to be read-only, yet saw these two groups in the list.

Also, I was able to add users to the group when I created the user.

Edwin Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2011

Are you trying to add AD users into Confluence Internal Directory groups? Cause that probably won't work. You would have to create those groups in AD as well.

When you create a user, it was probably created in the Confluence Internal Directory, which is why it can be added to a Confluence Internal Directory group.

Andy Yang October 3, 2011

When I look at the group list under Manage Groups - how can I tell whether it's internal or AD? I get confluence-users and confluence-administrators showing up, but they are definitely not in AD.

So, I had one of my network admins create confluence-users in AD and it still doesn't work. And I have no idea how to tell if it's trying to add an AD user to an AD group, or iand AD user to a local group.

How do most customers use this? Do they not bother with AD integration, but rather just export from AD and import into local Confluence?

Edwin Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2011

Sorry, I don't have the latest version of Confluence so I don't know how the user interface looks. Even if the group exists in AD, I THINK you still need to have permission to modify group membership in AD.

In my company, we do not use any accounts inside the Confluence Internal Directory. All users and groups are strictly managed through the AD.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events