Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access ajax variable outside a request to a confluence page

Daniel Baron April 10, 2018

The code below doesn't change mytoggle from 0 to 1 which is what should happen according to this SO link. Is this somehow Confluence related?  

var mytoggle = 0;
    $.ajax({
      type: "PUT",
      url: "/rest/api/content/" + page_id,
      data: JSON.stringify(pageData),
      contentType: "application/json; charset=utf-8",
	success: function (data) {
        mytoggle = 1;
      },
    });
alert(mytoggle);

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2018

Do NOT use async:false. So many of the comments on that stack overflow post explain why that's a terrible idea. And it's deprecated. That is the WRONG way to handle Ajax.

Just use the .success() callback method and pass 'data' to a function and call alert there.

Daniel Baron April 12, 2018

Thanks, I think it's working. Fyi that SO link presents async: false as the correct way to go, I just joined SO and don't have enough fake internet points to comment. Thanks again.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2018

Agreed, that post is not terribly clear, especially the first answer and it's comments. I have no stack overflow points either, so I also can't comment  :/

Good luck! 

Like Deleted user likes this
1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2018

The stackoverflow post is pretty clear. This is the script, not Confluence.

1. You set mytoggle = 0
  2. You start an ajax request
  3. You use an 'alert' to display 'mytoggle'
  4. The ajax request completes and sets mytoggle to 1

Ajax is asynchronous. You're calling 'alert()' before the ajax completes. Checkout the stackoverflow post again.

Daniel Baron April 11, 2018

Okay I've tried including async:false like below, which successfully changes mytoggle to 1 but I still can't get my_toggle to only cause a single alert. The code below will give an alert for every successful ajax request instead of just one. Trying to put the if (my_toggle == 1) statement later in the code gives a "my_toggle is not defined" error. 

function thisFunction() {
 for (i = 0; i < inputs.length; i++) {
... $.get('/rest/api/content?spaceKey=EXPERTISE&title=' + skillName + '&expand=space,body.storage,version,container', function (data, status) { var pageData = data.results[0]; var existing_body = pageData.body.storage.value; pageData.version.number += 1; var page_id = pageData.id; pageData.body.storage.value = pageData.body.storage.value + "hello world";
var my_toggle = 0; $.ajax({ type: "PUT", async: false, url: "/rest/api/content/" + page_id, data: JSON.stringify(pageData), contentType: "application/json; charset=utf-8", success: function() {
my_toggle = 1;
} });
if (my_toggle == 1){
alert('Success!!'); }); } } }

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events