Can public sign up users be auto added to a group?

Is it possible to determine that people who sign up through the login page are automatically added to a specific group in Confluence? I need to have some control over who comes in.

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hallo Pohlvault

If your Confluence site is connected to an LDAP server, then you can auto-assign new users to a group. To make this work, you need to choose the the 'Read Only, with Local Groups' option when configuring the LDAP connection. The "Default Group Memberships" option will then appear. For instructions and implications, see the documentation:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory#ConnectingtoanLDAPDirectory-AddingUserstoGroupsAutomatically

This would affect all new users, which makes the signups safe. When adding new users who need more privileges, the administrator would need to assign the additional groups. That is probably part of their procedures anyway.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers, Sarah

Thanks! This is great news for me, since we do use LDAP.

As far as I can tell, if I do it this way, I need to do all user management directly in LDAP, not through the Confluence admin. Is that right?

Yes, that's right, with one exception. You can add groups through the Confluence admin. They will go into the Confluence interal directory (on the Confluence database) and not into the LDAP server. You can then add the LDAP users to those groups. All other user and group management must happen on the LDAP server.

Cheers, Sarah

This can't be achieved in confluence nor by using a plugin.

But you could write your own plugin containing a listener module listening to the UserCreateEvent.
Afterwards it's quite easy to add every new user to a defined group.

Here you can find more infos about listener modules:

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/CONFDEV/Event+Listener+Module

And the UserCreateEvent:

http://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-confluence/latest/com/atlassian/confluence/event/events/user/UserCreateEvent.html

Cheers, Philipp

David Simpson Community Champion Nov 23, 2011

Conversely, you could add everyone else to another group e.g. internal-users.

You can then exclude signups from certain sections/spaces by using the internal-users group.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

445 views 5 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you