Can public sign up users be auto added to a group?

epohl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2011

Is it possible to determine that people who sign up through the login page are automatically added to a specific group in Confluence? I need to have some control over who comes in.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2011

Hallo Pohlvault

If your Confluence site is connected to an LDAP server, then you can auto-assign new users to a group. To make this work, you need to choose the the 'Read Only, with Local Groups' option when configuring the LDAP connection. The "Default Group Memberships" option will then appear. For instructions and implications, see the documentation:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory#ConnectingtoanLDAPDirectory-AddingUserstoGroupsAutomatically

This would affect all new users, which makes the signups safe. When adding new users who need more privileges, the administrator would need to assign the additional groups. That is probably part of their procedures anyway.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers, Sarah

epohl
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2011

Thanks! This is great news for me, since we do use LDAP.

epohl
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2011

As far as I can tell, if I do it this way, I need to do all user management directly in LDAP, not through the Confluence admin. Is that right?

SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2011

Yes, that's right, with one exception. You can add groups through the Confluence admin. They will go into the Confluence interal directory (on the Confluence database) and not into the LDAP server. You can then add the LDAP users to those groups. All other user and group management must happen on the LDAP server.

Cheers, Sarah

2 votes
Philipp Klauser November 23, 2011

This can't be achieved in confluence nor by using a plugin.

But you could write your own plugin containing a listener module listening to the UserCreateEvent.
Afterwards it's quite easy to add every new user to a defined group.

Here you can find more infos about listener modules:

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/CONFDEV/Event+Listener+Module

And the UserCreateEvent:

http://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-confluence/latest/com/atlassian/confluence/event/events/user/UserCreateEvent.html

Cheers, Philipp

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 23, 2011

Conversely, you could add everyone else to another group e.g. internal-users.

You can then exclude signups from certain sections/spaces by using the internal-users group.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events