Can our server users edit content with our Cloud users?

Our company is going through a merger and wanted to purchase a new 100 seat, per month, per user Confluence Cloud package. We currently have a 100 seat, server license and wanted to know if I purchase this cloud package could our existing server users and new cloud users edit each other's content.

Example: Say I wanted to create a wiki page for everyone to use and edit. Could the older server users and cloud users see and edit the same wiki content?

I've read that I could export our server content to our new cloud server which would help to join the two. But, after we do that would all we have to do is just assign permissions for our wiki page across platforms? Is there a difference with how we create this wiki page? If I create the wiki on the server environment prior to cloud migration, would new cloud users be able to see, edit, etc?

2 answers

0 votes
Peter DeWitt Community Champion Sep 25, 2017

Oliver, those are two separate offering from Atlassian.  Users would need an account in each system in order to edit.

Thanks for your response, Peter.

If I understand you correctly, and assuming a migration had been made from our current server to the new cloud server, an old user and a new cloud user could not edit the same page even if they were granted permissions to edit the page?

And a page on Cloud would not be in the same system as the Server one.  You'd need to find a way to synchronise two separate pages.

Sorry, also, let's say if that's not possible - to be able to edit content across old/new users - would I have to recreate profiles from the old server to the new cloud server? 

Ex: Sam and Mary both work for the same company. Sam is an older user of Confluence server and Mary is a new cloud user. In order for Sam and Mary to edit the new wiki page, a new seat would have to be reserved for Sam on the cloud server in order to edit/access the same page. Sam cannot be 'invited' to edit the cloud page Mary is working on. 

Yes, they're separate systems, each user will need an account on each system.

If you replicated though, that would not be necessary.  Sam could edit on one end, and the changes would be copied over to the other end without him needing an account there.

Right.. Thanks Nic.. That's the problem I'm trying to avoid. 

What would be the purpose of migrating our current server to the cloud, then? Would it be purely to avoid a setup from scratch on the new cloud server? If I have to recreate the old users to the new cloud users as well as add new users, what advantage would be there if I exported our server to the cloud? Again, much thanks!

The main advantage would be having everything in one place.

Ok.. great thanks again, Nic!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in New to Confluence

How to use Confluence Cloud for stakeholder management

Most of us don’t need much convincing that stakeholder management is important. It just makes sense that keeping everyone in-the-know on projects and assigning clearly defined roles is key to having ...

1,220 views 4 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you