Can multiple users concurrently edit a draw.io diagram in a Confluence page?

Evan P March 22, 2016

If one user creates a diagram in a Confluence page, can other users edit the diagram concurrently?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2016

Update : draw.io for Confluence Cloud now has collaborative editing. This question is specific to Cloud, so if anyone has the question for server please create a new question.

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2016

David, Evan,

Is this question and answer discussing 'concurrent' (simultaneous) editing?  I assumed that draw.io like it's competitors did allow editing by other users, just not concurrent editing. Thx.

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2016

My answer is for real time collaboration editing. Yes, currently users other than the diagram creator can edit the edit the diagram if they have permission to update other users attachments on the page the diagram is being edited on.

Evan P March 22, 2016

I was actually asking about non-concurrent editing, but you've answered that question as well. I've updated the title and text to clarify in context with your answer. Thanks!

Francesc Rul·lan Solana December 28, 2016

Hi, is this an implemented feature already? Thanks!

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2016

No, it would require Atlassian to open up their concurrent editing API. There was talk of them doing that during summer 2016, but that's gone quiet now.

Francesc Rul·lan Solana December 28, 2016

OK, thank you. Is this possible outside Confluence, though?

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2016

If you store the file in Google Drive, yes, it's possible. You can store the file in Google Drive and embed it in Confluence Cloud using this plugin.

Stefan Mueller January 30, 2019

>No, it would require Atlassian to open up their concurrent editing API. There was talk of them doing that during summer 2016, but that's gone quiet now.

Is that API still closed?

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2019

It is, but we've implemented our own collaborative editing functionality. We'll be researching how to integrate it into Confluence Server this year, without causing performance issues.

OK any idea when that will happen, roughly?

I was about to create a drawing and do exactly this. So the only option is still screen sharing. Google drive is not available at our data center instance.

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2019

Not at this time, it's very much a research exercise and we can't be 100% certain it's technically possible without frying performance.

Like # people like this

At least there is hope that it will be available soon 😊

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

@David Benson _draw_io_ also interested in this. In the interim, is there any thought towards highlighting / identifying / Locking (always a dangerous feature) items edited by someone else.

First case today where someone came a cropper from editing separate pages with someone else. Managed to repair thanks to version history, at least. I know it will happen again, as people see something in Confluence and assume collaborative editing.

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2019

We have discussed whether there's an interim solution. The thing is, we have the conflict resolution algorithm done (we cleared out the last issue about a week ago), what's left is back-end code to manage the locking. Once we have that, we have collaboration done.

I fully agreed last-write wins is really bad, but we're not that far away (relative to the age of this thread) from a point where we can start showing you concurrent editing. The locking style solutions, as you say, are actually really hard to implement in a safe way. The quickest route, at this point, is to just do the whole thing.

Like # people like this
Ludovic_DUSSART February 25, 2019

Nice, we also wait for this feature

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2019

@David Benson _draw_io_ thanks for the reply -- great to hear there is progress & potentially something in the works

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2019

Actually, I lied. There was a really easy way to prevent last write wins, this will go into the next release (hopefully, next week).

What will happen now is if you save and another write has occurred since you opened for editing, you will be offered the chance to merge in the changes before saving again.

The merge algorithm is a proper intelligent merge, not an overwrite.

My next question for everyone is what % this fixes your problem vs what % importance true real time collaborative editing is?

Like # people like this
Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2019

@David Benson _draw_io_ even better!

For us (in context Confluence as an Intranet launched last month for 300 people, with only 30 or so (currently) clued up on Draw IO): 90% of the issues will be fixed by merge (assuming it is intelligent and that people's drafts they never edited don't count to the total).

Ask me in a year's time when I have banged the drum a bit more about our collaborative software, and more people have the chance to extract value, then maybe it changes. But generally for me this is catching the edge cases where last-write wins.

However, all that being said, if I could 'whiteboard' in meetings with Draw IO, with several people able to chip in on their laptops, then it would likely take off

Like Martin Seibert likes this
Stefan Mueller February 26, 2019

My next question for everyone is what % this fixes your problem vs what % importance true real time collaborative editing is?

as any saved change is saved in the confluence page history I prefer real time collaborative editing

Deleted user April 2, 2019

Hi, any update on the collaborative editing feature?

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2019

Merging went into the last version.  So, if you go to save and someone else has saved since you loaded, a merge will take place of your and their. If that's not a good thing, select all, copy, merge, and paste yours back over.

We've also added File->Synchronize in the draw.io editor menu. This gives you a way to manually sync saved changes from another user.

The problem part is still how to give real time notifications in a way that cannot affect Confluence performance.

l_dussart April 3, 2019

Nice @David Benson _draw_io_ . It's a good workaround

Is this new version already available on Confluence Marketplace ?

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2019

Yes, it's 8.3.7

Like Ludovic Dussart likes this
mawi June 3, 2019

re needs: Currently we use both draw.io and miro (previously realtimeboard). 

They are distinct but ideally, you want the concurrent editing as provided by miro, yet good/decent editing as in draw.io.

I think re problem solved, I look at concurrent text editing as an indicator. It has taken alot of time to take off, to have become comfortable for alot of people and to be commonly utilized - and it is still not, I would say. So its a shift in culture for alot of companies (some would likely find it more natural).

I think the same shift will come, albeit slowly for concurrent visual manipulation.

David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2019

Note, there's a card on our trello board, https://trello.com/c/afGTuc1m/128-add-realtime-collaboration, you can vote for and follow this issue on.

Mads June 19, 2020

I too, am interested in this feature. This Coronathing, has made it all the more relevant, and while it works using a gdrive backend, using a Confluence backend would be very, very convenient.

JAVA July 21, 2020

2020 july waiting for this feature. 

Like zian92 likes this
David Benson _draw_io_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2020

draw.io for Confluence Cloud now has collaborative editing, I've updated my answer.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events