Can i restrict editing in columns of a table?

I would like to create a table, which uses task-lists and checkboxes.

I need the ability to protect some columns/lines from editing by all except the owner. 

1 answer

0 vote

Permissions are done at a page level in Confluence.  If you can edit a page, you can edit all of it.  Also, Confluence doesn't have the concept of roles like "owner", permissions are by group or individual.

Adding to Nic's answer: If each user has write access on their pages, but can read everyone else's, you can use excerpt / transclusion macros to render information from these pages on other pages.

Maybe the Page Properties Macro and the Excerpt Macro may support your use cases out-of-the-box. If not, there are third party add-ons to support multi-excerpt or other handy features to grab information from one or more read-only pages to render it in another page.

One solution could be the Display Table Macro from the commercial projectdoc Toolbox for Confluence server. Every line of a table would be stored in a properties table (using the Document Properties Marker Macro) on its own page (for instance tasks with some metadata like owner, short description, and due date). The Display Table Macro allows then to list all (matching) pages on one table (such as the overview over tasks that selects information from all matching task pages).

Two things (at least ;-)) to consider:

1. Having each table row as a separate document may sound unfamiliar. But it may be quite natural if you think of tasks and list of tasks. Each task, since it is on its own page, can be referenced individually (which would be harder if one would need to reference a row in a table).
  2. If you want to change a table row a user would need to navigate to the document that is the source for that line and edit it there.

Biased alert: I'm one of the authors of the projectdoc Toolbox (which is available on the Atlassian Marketplace). The online manual provides more information about the tools of the projectdoc Toolbox.

Thanks, but this is not what i asked for.

I would like to create a table, where:

1. Some columns can be modified only by the originator, and

other  users can only read them.

2. Other columns are writable by any permitted user. 

You need to find a solution, where the data for the restricted columns is not stored as part of the page. This is because - as Nic explained - a user either has certain privileges on a page or not.

Therefore the mentioned solution using transclusion/excerpt is a valid approach. If this does not fit your requirements I suppose you need to find or write a plugin that stores column data apart from the page. I do not know of such a tool.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Asked yesterday in Confluence

What are the resources that you use to learn more about Atlassian Products?

I am gathering information about resources available for Atlassian product knowledge transferring for a presentation in our local Atlassian User Group. I want to group them in four categories From ...

135 views 4 6
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you