Can access Confluence remotely, but not JIRA

Jordan Baczuk August 11, 2014

I have set up a domain and think I have done all the steps necessary to access my home server from the web, except I cannot access jira. For example, 192.168.0.10:8080 works within my network at home, but when I try to use the domain I set up, example.com:8080, I cannot access JIRA, it returns "webpage unavailable" or "chrome could not connect". The strange thing is that I can access confluence at example.com:8090/confluence. I've checked the url settings in JIRA, I've forwarded the ports, etc. Any ideas?

15 answers

1 vote
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

It looks like you have your 8080 port was already configured for some other service at your remote network setup. I cannot give you more info without investigation of your network settings, but seems that change of the port from the default 8080 to 8081 helped.

0 votes
Jordan Baczuk August 12, 2014

That does appear to have connectivity. I might just keep it like that, unless there is a reason to use 8080 only. Thanks for your help!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

yes and yes - you should configure inside configuration files and you have to change base url on administration board after jira reboot

0 votes
Jordan Baczuk August 12, 2014

Ok. When I change the port do I just have to change the base URL in the dashboard or do I have to change the configuration files too?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2014

If you have everything working - no need in new installation. We should check what is the problem with jira now. So you have jira accessed locally, but not remotely. Could you please give the info regarding the tools and steps you use to make jira accessed remotely.

As a temporary solution (just came into my head) try to change port from 8080 to 8081 for example and make proper forwarding. Please tell me if port change helped.

0 votes

Ok now it appears confluence can be accessed locally and remotely, I apologize, I forgot to start the confluence script after editing config.xml. Is there a good way for me to start over with the confluence installation at this point?

0 votes

No I can't access confluence locally. I don't know what that affected changing the context path.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

There is no need in context for default installation. so you should be able to follow the simple installation guide and set up confluence https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Installation+Guideand have access locally. You should get both apps accessed locally before you do some dns changes - to localize the problem.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

so now your jira and confluence can be accessed with local ip, but not your domain? Could you provide exact steps and tools you use to configure port forwarding and set up your domain? (with and without context)

0 votes

I just removed the /confluence from config.xml and now I can't access either jira or confluence remotely. I can't access confluence locally, either. I wonder why they have /confluence in the tutorial?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

If you have set up port forwarding correctly - there should not be an issue. Please try to remove your setting for confluence - maybe it contains some conflict with the jira setting.

0 votes

Thanks for your help by the way. Yes it does. I added /confluence because I was following "Here be Dragons" tutuorial found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Dragons+Stage+3+-+Install+Confluence

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

The strange thing is that you have set up /confluence context path - you should set up it additionally as it is not the part of default installation. How can you access to confluence using the ip address? does the 192.168.0.10:8090/confluence lead to the start confluence page?

0 votes

I have setup a CNAME on my host to point to a dynamic dns account which forwards to my home public IP. This seems to all be working. I then forward the port 8080 to my server IP address just like I did with 8090 for confluence. example.com:8080/jira returns "chrome could not connect..." and example.com:8090/jira returns a blank page.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

Please provide more details on how do you set up the connection. If you have access to confluence using that scenario, please try example.com:8080/jira example.com:8090/jira

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events