Can I use a single Cloud account (email address) to access multiple instances of Confluence?

Robert Hagmaier August 22, 2015

I have my own Confluence which I use for my personal projects.  I used a particular email address to create the Cloud account for this instance.

When my work brought up their Confluence, they sent me an invite (using the same email I used for my own).  The email recognizes that I already have a Cloud account, but it will not let me login to the company instance of Confluence.  I can continue to login to my personal Confluence just fine.

Both are Cloud instances.

Can anyone give me some guidance?

3 answers

1 vote
Robert Hagmaier August 29, 2015

Quick update for anyone who is reading this.

When I was invited to the second instance of Confluence, the welcome email was misleading as it said it recognized I already had an account.  I mistakenly assumed this was the account from the first instance of Confluence as it had been created with the same email address.  It is not.

There was an actual problem that occurred, however, as shown in the last screenshot above.  For whatever reason, the "forgot username or password" feature did not work properly.  It complained that I was using an invalid username or password, which doesn't even seem like appropriate messaging for this screen.

In any case, the administrator tried to reset my password, which didn't work, so they removed and recreated the account and that took care of it.

Robert

William Rojas (Black Diamond) September 11, 2015

Thanks for the timely update Robert... I am about to setup a 2nd Cloud instance and was hoping to use the same email address for my 2nd Cloud setup. Based on your follow-up it appears that is possible to have the the same email address registered with separate account instances and then login into each one separately as you as one keeps the URLs and passwords straight... Am I interpreting this correctly? William

0 votes
Robert Hagmaier August 22, 2015

They are two separate Cloud instances. My personal one, which I setup first, is working fine.
When the admin for the company Cloud instance added me as a user, he used the same email address as my main user for my personal instance.

I received the welcome email. It appears the new instance of Confluence recognized that I already have a Cloud account.

atlassian welcome email.png

When I click the "login" button in the email, it takes me to the login page for the new Confluence instance, but when I try my credentials, it says it is an invalid combination.

login error message.png

I tried using the "unable to access your account option".  I put in my email address for the username and choose password as the option.  It comes back with the same error message (didn't recognize username/pass combo).

forgot password.png

I'm totally at a loss as to what is wrong here.

0 votes
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2015

Hi, Robert.

Are those 2 separate Cloud instances? Two separate Cloud instances have 2 different sets of users. They are not shared, so I don't see how one instance could tell your user already existed in the other, except maybe if both are using Google Apps.

Either way, what is the error you're seeing? If it's the password, you can re-set it using the 'Unable to access your account' option. If your user doesn't haver permission to access Confluence, an administrator will need to give you permission.

If non of this works, you can always open a support request at Atlassian Support for further assistance.

I hope it was helpful.

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira
Atlassian Cloud Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events