Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I tag/label/categorize individual tasks?

Jason Shechter June 25, 2018

I'm using Confluence to take notes during meetings in real time.  I love how easy it is to assign a task to a user with a due date.  However, I'd like to further classify these tasks. For example, some tasks that come up are actions to be assigned, some may be risks to track, or decisions to be made.  I'd like to be able to add these tasks with tags/labels so that I can use the report macro later and consolidate all open actions, risks, decisions across a project.  Is that possible?

If that's not possible does anyone have an minute taking strategy??

Thanks

2 answers

2 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2018

We had a request open to categorize tasks but it was closed as "won't do": Ability to add labels to individual Tasks and sort by Task labels in the Task Report Macro

I look forward to hearing what the rest of the community has to contribute as far as minute taking strategies. I assume you already discovered the Meeting Notes Blueprint.

Henk Smets August 29, 2018

This would be very useful.

I regret that this will not be implemented.

Like # people like this
Felicity Stone January 25, 2019

Hi there @AnnWorley,

Is there any update on this as we would really love to be able to tag tasks inline. We have lots of different deliverables and even though our meetings are often focussed on one particular deliverables often actions relating to other deliverables are discussed and logged.

We already have pages that filter the actions list by assignee name which is useful but as we are of course always focussed on delivering value it would also be really useful to see these actions regrouped per deliverable.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Felicity

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jonathan Creech February 8, 2019

@Jason Shechter, did you even find a solution that works for your team to differentiate different types of tasks? Our group is looking for the exact same thing right now. 

Jason Shechter February 8, 2019

I haven't.  Pivoted to use an external task management tool, Wrike.

Like # people like this
Matthew Roles September 28, 2022

Thanks for the tip. It would be nice if Atlassian addressed this need rather than leading us to look for external solutions.

Like # people like this
Bud Colunga September 15, 2023

Hey all, FWIW the most success that I've had is using the page label function to associate and filter the task reports into different groupings. It may not fit perfectly for your use case, but with different page categories + pages that fit underneath it all tagged, it allows you to group those tasks for those tagged pages. Then, if you're looking to have an "overview" style page, create a page and add as many task reports as you need, using the page labels function to customize it. It requires you and your team to be a little more disciplined about how and where you group your tasks, but it can work and be very effective, especially if you create ceremonies that support it.

A general recommendation would look something like this: a top page for "task management". This page is made up of as many task reports as you have as task groups that you need to view and see progress against. Maybe one section for "complete tasks" including all the page labels you want to view at the bottom to show the team's progression through tasks and reference back to as needed. Underneath your "Task Management" top page, are individual task pages. For example, something that could fit there would be "Meeting note actions", which collects all your meeting note actions across any page tagged with "meeting notes". Getting really prescriptive about your actions can help too. The task you assign to your team during a "stand up" meeting notes page (which should have its own label) could be to "update X task page with _______________" and insert whatever the assignment was for the meeting. 

Hope that helps!

Like Jennifer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events