Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I store metadata in HTML tags in Confluence?

Giorgos Flourentzos December 10, 2014

Hello! I am creating pages on Confluence programmatically using the REST API. I need to store some tables that I need to retrieve (using an XML parser) and update later. In order to tell which table is which, I am trying to store attributes to the HTML tags in Confluence, but Confluence seems to drop them when saving the page content.

For example, when I send Confluence this

<tbody tid="a-very-specific-table">
</tbody>

Confluence accepts it but later on when I retrieve the page the table drops the attributes I gave it:

<tbody>
</tbody>

Is there a way to store my own attributes or otherwise tag a table with some metadata so that I can retrieve it later?

Many thanks in advance!

2 answers

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2014

This is not ideal, but you could try something like this and I think it should work.

<div>
	<span style="display: none;">
		meta data here.
	</span>
	<table>
	</table>
</div>
0 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2014

Hi,

What if when you create you page, you try to wrap your custom attributed tables in a HTML macro

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="html">
<ac:plain-text-body>
<![CDATA[

TABLE here

]]>
</ac:plain-text-body>
</ac:structured-macro>

will this work or still will strip-off your custom attributes?

Giorgos Flourentzos December 11, 2014

My XML parser would not even allow me to do that in the first place because it's missing Confluence's namespace and XML descriptions. Even when I try to parse a confluence page that has <ac:...></ac:...> tags in it, it strips them off. (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/11455197/)

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2014

just wrap it as string value before sending to REST API... you do not have to work with this as with XML. or the actual problem is with reading it back?

Giorgos Flourentzos December 11, 2014

well, I need to parse it as XML first, edit it, then stringify and put it back. It's meant to be a programmatically updated page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events