Can I set up Confluence server as a mapped drive on my laptop?

Can Confluence function like this:

1. An online cloud server for our whole company where are files are stored centrally.
  2. set up a mapped letter drive (e.g. Z drive) that is in my file explorer.
  3. I can select some or all company files to be resident on my computer to work on offline.
  4. Auto sync when I connect to the web -
  5. no clicking to upload, download files - they are as ready as if clicking on a mapped drive that is a physical server in our office.

3 answers

Its sounds like you are trying to replicate SharePoint Online functionality with Confluence.

That works for SharePoint because document libraries essentially work like folders and files. However, in Confluence each attachment is associated with a wiki page - while a page acts like a folder, its a different approach to document management. Pages generally provide context for attachments - you don't get that in SharePoint document libraries. e.g. if someone comments on a page, you won't see it in file explorer on your computer.

However, there are add-ons that will let you connect Confluence with other cloud-based file and sync solutions, so you could certainly try to replicate some of what you get with SharePoint.

0 vote

Confluence is a wiki, not a file store.

You can use https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-a-webdav-client-for-confluence-148044.html  to do some of it, but that is still not file storage.

Although WebDAV isn't available in Cloud:

Due to changes to our Atlassian Cloud infrastructure, it's no longer possible to view or manage pages and files in Confluence Cloud using WebDAV.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/configuring-a-webdav-client-for-confluence-724765538.html

Good point, I missed the "cloud" flag again!

Hi Scott,

On Cloud? No.

On Server? Probably, but why wouldn't you just use a file server?

As mentioned in the other answers, Confluence is not SharePoint or SharePoint-like (despite the fact that Microsoft and Atlassian seem to think SharePoint and Confluence are competitor products when in reality they're completely different).  There may be some convoluted way to do what you want but Confluence is entirely the wrong tool to use as a mapped file store.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

277 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you