Can I set a template as my default page that gets created rather than a blank page?

Larry September 8, 2020

I don't want just a blank page, I want a certain template everytime without any extra menuing or clicking or anything!

2 answers

0 votes
Jillian Patterson September 24, 2020

Hi @Larry

As Stephen mentioned, ScriptRunner for Confluence may help - you could set up a "skeleton" space that has pages / page trees organized in a specific way and use that as a template to be copied again and again (using the Copy Space built-in script). If a whole space isn't needed, the same can be done with just a section / page tree(s) (using the Copy Page Tree built-in script). Hope this helps!

Best,
Jillian

0 votes
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2020

Hi @Larry 

As far as I'm aware, it isn't possible to change this button's behaviour.

There has been a previous suggestion for this - see: CONFCLOUD-3697 - it looks like you've commented on this recently.

---------------------

Whilst these aren't directly related to your need - you could consider:

• Promotion: Promote Templates you want your team to use so they appear near the top of the "choose template" section when clicking Create. See how to promote templates here.
  • Template Button: Add a Create from Template Macro to a page. Users can press the button to create a new child page, with the specific template applied.
  • Copy Hyperlink: Similar to Template Button. Create a template page in a page hierarchy - then copy the link address for "copying" that page from the options menu. Next, create a hyperlink in the parent page to that copy link address, effectively creating from a template which more than just Space Admins can modify.

---------------------

Let us know if you'd like any help with any of the above options :)

Ste

Larry September 8, 2020

Yeah, I know about these. I was hoping that this existed as what I am really trying to is automate the creation of confluence pages from say a google sheets file. So every row is a new page.

Was hoping to be able to do it as a template. but that's way more complicated as you have to get into source editing of the template page and such. If I could have just made the page I wanted to be the default; problem solved! Also, the source editor is only available for server from Atlassian and I'm not going to use someone else's from reading the reviews.

Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2020

Hi @Larry 

I'm not sure about creation from a Google Sheets file...

But you might be able to automate some of your needs using an app - such as Scriptrunner for Confluence.

I would investigate if an app like this meets your requirements. Using Scriptrunner as the example, I would review their documentation or contact the vendor via their Support Page to ask.

See more app options on the Marketplace :)

Ste 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events