Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I require a password for anonymous users?

Joshua Lindquist December 22, 2012

I'm currently evaluating Confluence. I've been playing with it for a couple of days and I love what I've seen so far.

I'm testing Confluence on a personal laptop just using localhost, but my understanding is that a "real installation" is always going to have a public address available from any computer. Is that correct?

We would be using Confluence for internal use only, and there are only a handful of people (probably 4) who would ever need to edit the information. However, there are other people who need to read the information.

Is it possible to only set up user accounts for the people who need to edit, but still allow others within the organization to view the files anonymously - without the files being available to the general public?

Basically, I'm asking if you can password protect Confluence as a whole without always requiring a user to log in.

We're a small team, and honestly the team is unlikely to grow past the 10 user mark in the near future, but thinking ahead I'd like to know what is possible. I'm hovering just below 10 possible users right now, and the cost jump between 10-11 users is rather substantial (getting anywhere near 25 users is extremely unlikely)

Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2012

The crux of this is "no", because for security, you need to know who someone is, which means they need to log in before you can work out what you can or can't let them do. Anonymous access, by definition, means "anyone can do this without identifying themselves". Your statement "protect something without requiring a login" is a self-contradicting concept - the very fact someone has to enter a password means they're logging in (even if you bypass any need for an actual user name)

One really simple way around this would be to have a dummy user called "readme" or something like that, and you give the username/password to everyone you want to have "anonymous" access. The account wouldn't have write access to anything.

However, a better solution might be to use your network to simply block access from outside your corporate network, and allow full anonymous access (again, read-only)

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2012

No, an 'account' that you can login with takes a seat, you cant authenticate anonymously in Confluence.

You could achive the same ends by putting Confluence inside a basic-auth protected area and require everyone to key a user/password in order to access the system, actual users of Confluence would then need to enter a separate id/pass to becode editors, may be ok for a small number of users.

- http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/auth.html

0 votes
Vishali
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

There is a plugin called 'Security and Encryption'. Give it a try to see if that is what you need.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events