Can I prevent a user from adding NEW pages in a space whilst allowing them to edit existing pages

William Robin Kneale February 15, 2021

What I want to do ......control a document by allowing a subset of users to add and edit pages in a Space ......but then allow the remaining users only to edit some specific pages and not to be able to add new pages.   This is to avoid a massive proliferation of unreviewed pages in a Space which is developing a "formal" document.

I can see that Page Restrictions allow me to determine who can edit a Page but they dont seem to prevent creation of a new Page.   Space Permissions seem to allow me to prevent users from creating a page but it also seems to prevent them editing any of the pages in the space.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

I'm afraid the create and edit permissions are completely combined, and there's no way to allow edit without create, or create without edit.  Restrictions can remove edit rights, but it's on a page by page basis and isn't going to help you at all.

I think you might want to be looking at the marketplace for apps that can do publishing or document control.  (I've used Comala and Scroll do control what gets published, which means you can effectively enforce reviews, but they don't help with preventing the proliferation of pages)

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

@William Robin Kneale  You can combine page and space restrictions.  However that would mean to change the page restrictions for each page each user can edit.

Maybe a simpler approach is to have two spaces:  One space where new pages can be created, and the other space where pages can be edited.

William Robin Kneale February 15, 2021

Would Page restriction work ?

Lets say I have 3 pages A, B and C and I want user B to be able to i) View all 3, ii) only be able to edit C, and iii) NOT be able to add any new pages to the Space.

My understanding was that I could use Page Restrictions to achieve i) and ii) but they are still able to add new Pages.  And if I use Space Permissions then the same Permission both prevents creation of new page AND it prevents all editing.

Do I have that wrong ?

Thanks

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2021

@William Robin Kneale  If I understand your situation correctly, you could use space permissions to restrict editing and creation of pages, and then change the permissions on individual pages.

However, your post says your "product plan" is "free".  That means the the full Confluence permission system is not accessible for you (see https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/manage-permissions-in-the-free-edition-of-confluence-cloud/ ).

We have a plugin called Document Control for Confluence Cloud  which allows you to designate reviewers for a page, and automatically set edit restrictions on the page, such that only designated reviewers can edit a page.  This might help you in your workflow (I'm affiliated with Phase Locked Software).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events